• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New home made gear

Well Its a start.I figure by the time I get to #3 it will be a smoother procedure with better results. They are actually easier to paint than I though thats not saying much considering theres a lot for me to improve on....

So from this

IMG_0108.jpg

To my

first fuzzy goose.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Well Lots to learn. Its getting easier to put feather detail in but I wish I would have put detail in the carving.. old bobtails revamped with flocking...

Im not sure yet what I want to put on the drakes for feathers but im sure these will work as is.. Lots to learn but thats the fun of it..

Well let me know what ya think..

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Muthagoose awesome work. I was looking back on the other page and you said that you will be teaching a class on decoy carving at VCC. Is that still a go and evidentally it must be taking place this spring semester, I was looking forward to the taxidermy novelties class that you where suppose to have this fall and was disappointed when i opened up my email last month to see that they had dropped the class. Once again awesome work and I am looking forward to your classes and seeing all your decoys.

Well my schedule changed this week so instead of trying to do more work I decided to play..

Nothing set in stone the wingtips,Tails and feet need to be postioned ect.

First it was to try and do one of those roll overs like Don. Then I realized I need a foot and wingtips for each. The foot part was easy to rough in,my next mold is a wingtip/section..

Not having the ability nor patience after attempting to carve ""a"" foot I made a mold off the roughed in foot.. This way I can keep the carveing down to a minimum or add color the resin when I pour them even alter their shape with a heat lamp and ice water.

Simple Wally world mold method and pourakast with LQ paint mixed in.

For my first attempt at something out of my comfort zone I am fairly happy with them.....

IMG_0101-1.jpg

IMG_0105-1.jpg

Thanks for the very kind words.

Lots to learn. I cleaned off a few shelves to make drying room.

Would like to carve 1-3 a day this winter. Asked the wife to pick 5 birds off a picture of rafted bills....

Might even get the swans carved..

I bought a Kayak already started on ideas for that. They sure ride nice and talk layout for shallow water grin...

Yep chaos but fun....

Yep they got the test last week. Sat in shallow ponds while hunting out of Xlanders...

My camera had problems with the cards I bought found out today it wasn't the camera which is a good thing.

Well heres the results of a couple days in ND...

Heres what I have..

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Ate the first days limits then collected the 10 roasters in 2 days that are now plucked and waiting for the family feed this week.. Wildrice and mushroom stuffing on my bench. Also shot a trophy GW teal,bull pintails and wigeon

Nothing like fresh mallard wrapped in bacon grilled with a cold beer...

Almost sold all my decoys so I have to carve new.Lots of new positions concepts rolling in my head. Im off to hunt mergansers for the next 2 days.I'll try and get some footage and pics of them working my lawn dart spread....

Im gonna be busy this winter. I have sold nearly ALL my decoys in less than 2 weeks so if anyone wants to still get together and carve we should find someone with a large enough work area to set somthing up... I dont mind showing people how its all about persistance,patience and practice.. Simple hand tools are all ya need.. I have gone to using my foredom but I we can stick to useing sureforms, rasps and sand paper..

What do ya think Elwood??

Heres a few pics of my G eyes and darts on the water... Not a good day for hunting to calm...

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Ill get some better but the different head positions really help so does the full flocking...

I redid a couple of my divers and carved new puddlers. A couple got dropped just prior to takeing the picture which is why there spot putty on them. I sold all that I had last fall now need to make a new spread for next fall..Got some new ideas on packing in decoys.Lighter and keeping stability will be the challenge on the puddlers but the divers Im keeping the river keel they swing side to side and ride well...

Working on Cans,Redheads,Buffs and Bills next.

IMG_0103-2.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

For me cast heads are the ticket lightweight,no matinence,easy to balance and if ya trash one easy to repair.

All will be cast with steel insert the fuil length of the bill and possibly casted in main bill color to add to the durability.

mutha looks great and hunting season sure did fly by this year was really wishing I coulda met up with ya for a hunt may be this spring Ican get ya in the boat for a little kitty cat action on the river.

We will have to set a date for a hunt next season for sure..

I gotta start saving my pennies for some new decoys wink

I didnt like the big flat heads on the tallest mallards after I got a couple pours out, so it got the foredom.The drake widgeon got it also and I altered a cast from that into a greenwing. Also have the new widgeon done and ready for molding. I learned a long time ago that inside every bad mallard theres a gadwall or wooduck waiting to come out..

I will end up with 4-5 new molds at this rate.

Other than that the rest are ok for now.

Been pouring and will be for the next 3 days.Then its body cut'n time....