• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unethical shot

JoeTC

Did anyone else see Babe Winkleman this morning and quite possibly one of the worst archery shots I've ever seen? I'm usually one to call out people on their ethics but I can't keep my mouth shut this. A ten points comes in and is completely quartering towards him and still moving when he shoots. He hits it right in the gut and gets maybe ten inches of penetration and the deer runs away with the arrow sticking out of its side. Even if he would have gotten pass through I think the arrow would have come out of it's butt. So then he goes to track the deer they start losing blood but see some hair on a fence it crossed but they couldn't keep following the deer because it went onto someone else's land that wouldn't give him permission to keep following it. So he loses the deer and weeks later another hunter finds it and they show him giving babe the rack but of course the deer went to waste. I can't believe someone would take such a stupid and in my opinion unethical shot on tv and act like nothing was wrong with it.

Joe

No, I didn't see it. But one thing to consider is that the cameraman's angle/view or what you're seeing on TV is almost always very different than what you see. I've seen the guys on Bowhunting Magazine TV mention this a few times and see what they mean. So maybe the deer was only slightly quartering. Regardless, if it was completely, we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment. Was he elated about his shot or just kind of quiet. I can see the guy being quietly upset with himself and no need for an apology to the viewer, but if he was all excited about it, that's a different story.

Too many people try to make shots that they do not practice. Personally i will not even attempt a shot if i am not comfortable with it. I would rather let an animal go than to wound one.

get off yer high horses, the episode was to show that it doesn't go right all the time. been there done that. he did all he could to find the deer and would have but the landowner didn't want anybody in there since it was close to gun season and he had his eyes on a big buck. kinda nice that he gave him the rack later I thought. most would just keep it. so don't be judging to harshly, you may be in the same boat some day.

Same as above?/\/\/\/\

I have met Babe a couple of times. The first time was at a boat launch and he politely asked me how to get to another lake that was connected to the lake we where launching from.

He was a very nice dude!

the point isnt him looking for it the point is the stupid shot he took... he would not have had to worry about finding it if he would have waited for a better shot or let the deer walk

he could be the nicest guy in the world... it was still a stupid thing to do

Nothing wrong with shooting a deer thats quartering towards you as far as I'm concerned. Plenty venison has been put in my freezer that way. I've screwed up shots that were perfect broadside shots and quartering away shots. Krap happens. After 40 years of bowhunting I still have krap happen. Look at the episode again, it's barely quartering towards him and he hits it back a bit. That's archery. If you expect to get a perfect clean kill every time then usee a shotgun and limit your shots to 20 yards. Even that could be screwed up!

Well I don't mean to say there is anything wrong with Babe as a person I just disagreed with his choice to take that particular shot and wanted to see if those who had also seen it would agree. I personally think it is unethical to take a quartering to shot and especially in the situation he had. I've messed up shots too and I know it could happen to anyone but I wouldn't take a shot that was high risk for something to go wrong. I rewinded and watched the shot over three different times and to me it seemed the deer was quartering towards him quite a bit. I just don't see why he didn't wait for a better opportunity.