• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sealing Grout/Tile

chasineyes

Just laid a slate flooring in my bathroom and am wondering if i need to seal it. Most of the floow is covered with rugs most of the time? I did buy a bottle of sealer from Homer Depot but really don't know if it's necessary??

smirk

Thanks

sealing it will make it easier to clean.Basically it's putting a clear coat over the top to protect it. Do a litte looking on line to see what they recommend for the slate. Grout sealers may or may not be what you need. You can seal the grout for sure. When slate was very popular 30 years ago, "slate dressing" was used. Not sure if that is recommended now or not. gl

Dan

Sealing is always a good idea, make sure that you find one that is not just a surface sealer, but one that is a penetrating sealer, do the slate and the grout, slate is relatively porous and will stain...you can get the "wet" look with a quality stone enhancer or you can go with the natural look. Stonetech makes good sealers and I think HD might carry that kind...