• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hole Size

jhol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a 8" for a couple of reasons, one it's light but more importantly when the ice gets alot thicker I have found that I loose alot fewer fish with an 8" hole. Alot of the time when the hook pops out right at the top of the hole a fish will be able to turn around in a 10" hole, I found with the 8" hole I have a better chance of making a grab at the fish since they can't get turned around.(well most of em')! Make any sense? wink

I use an eight because its big enough for what I'm fishing, its safer for kids and some adults with small feet, my vexilar dont fit down it. the list goes on and on. I like to use my 7" hand auger during early ice 10" or less just because its easier on the arms.

Here's a Q - when you drill a hole do you kick in the ice shavings after your done or keep the heaping pile showing.

I heard the snowmobilers hate that when we leave a pile then it freezes solid. But people walking around would see and avoid it.

Jiffy 3hp 10" for me. We have an 8x20 perm on skids that serves us quite well. We can punch the holes one weekend and when we return the following weekend I can usually just punch through the skim with my chisel and still fish an 8" hole without drilling them out. JMO

Early ice I like my "8" hand auger.. Then later on I use my "JIFFY" "10".. It weighs a bit, but the extra width is nice for some of those crappies and bluegills i can barely fit through that "10" hole!! My "JIFFY" really growls and snorts! It is a model #30 Bought it for $50.00 from a friend..

Got a Jiffy Model 30 8 inch auger.

I also have an 8 inch hand auger for early ice to help keep the weight down.

Thought about a 10" but didn't get one for these reasons

1. 10" blade is heavier to handle

2. 10" is large enough to fit a guys foot in and possibly a small child. I have an 18 month old and really didn't want to find out the hard way.

3. 10" gives a lot of room for fish to turn around in the hole and head back down if they get off the hook. 8 in they still can but doesn't happen near as often.

4. Putting 5 holes in a voyager so 3 guys can fish takes up a lot more room when they are 10" vs. 8" actually 6-8" holes is like 5-10" holes for size

5. IMO at 8" a hole is perfect when pike start up the hole they just wiggly themselfs right up and out.

6. Never had a fish that wouldn't fit through an 8" hole

Reed's has "8" assemblies for $129.oo is that a fair price?? or should I check out the ice fishing show ST. PAUL.. Last year is when I bought my JIFFY from my friend.. It's big it's fast.. but after I stepped in one of the holes and almost broke my leg, I think I will go with "8" ..

When my son was little he fell in a 10" hole up to his waste! So IMO small kids could go through. For this reason I use a 8" I did have a 10" and do not think I have lost any more fish with the 8" then with the 10". And I alway clear away ice/slush/snow from around my hole.

got a 10" strikemaster, it was on sale and I like the larger hole, more room for transducer cord. I am careful to watch where I am walking so as not to step in one. I kick the ice away from my hole, if you leave it its an extra 3-4" that a fish could get off.

I prefer a 10 in my Permy, but use a 5,6 and 8 in my portables. I personally would rather step in a 10 inch hole than an 8. I have seen what happens to someone that steps in an 8 and it aint pretty when their foot bends toes up all the way down in 20 inches of ice. The only way out is all the way down so you can point your toes(if you still can) and pull it back out.