• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hole Size

jhol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 8, but I love fishing in a 10. Problem bigger auger more weight, and more money.I could have a 5 inch hole and still drop stuf down the hole. One thing bad about a 10 is a very small child, GOD Forbid could fall in the hole, and you may twist you ankle a few times.

I too run 8". Except when I have gone Pike fishing on Tip Ups in SD. Then we use 10", just easier to get them in the hole. Other than that, I hate 10's because my feet are fairly small and I can lose a foot in one.

I've used a Strikemaster XL-3000 3 Hp 10-inch for more than ten years. Faster than any 3 Hp/10-inch I've seen, and I absolutely LOVE how easy it is to steer fish into and up the bigger hole.

But she was a heavy beast, and age is creeping up, so I traded for a 2 Hp Jiffy 8-inch. A good bit lighter, and it'll encourage me to drill more holes and hop around more, which is a good thing. If I think I'm on big fish water (I fish lakers a lot), I'll overlap a couple 8-inch holes so if the big one comes, it'll fit through. Since I'm usually over deep water, when overlapping the holes I'll fish the Marcum out of one of the holes with the ducer tight under the ice away from the other hole, and will jig in the other hole. Works pretty good.

My hand auger is an 8-inch Mora, so I've done a lot of fishing though the smaller holes, too.

Overall, I find a 10-inch hole better for convenience's sake, but don't have any probs fishing out of the smaller hole, and lugging that big auger around was getting very INconvenient. Never had an issue with dropping things down holes, so that doesn't play into my hole size decision.

I have a 10" because the 9" was sold out. 10" is big and I have seen my buddy step in one and he whole leg was soaked. Also saw a lil girl step in one and get wet. I felt horrible

Here's a Q - when you drill a hole do you kick in the ice shavings after your done or keep the heaping pile showing.

I heard the snowmobilers hate that when we leave a pile then it freezes solid. But people walking around would see and avoid it.

It depends if I am plannig on hole hopping with or without my house. If am hopping with my house I will move ice out of way. If I am not using the house, I will leave snow to mark holes and to keep from freezing as much.

My old Jiffy was a 9" and I thought that was just about the perfect size but now I have a Nils and they only go up to a 8" so what I am going to try this year when out laker fishing is to try and make a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the hole with my ice chisel just to make it easier to get the fish started up the hole. If that fails I will just drill 2 holes next to each other.