• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spearing with no snow

glenn57

what kind of sucess has anyone had with spearing when theres no snow on the ice. i have had that several times in the course of my spearing career and never had much luck. fish seem really spooky with that shadow there. seems if you con find a spot on the ice where its cloudy helps. what does averyone else think.

Ice that is like glass and clear water does make the fish spooky. The best thing to do is make sure the house is dark and there aren’t any light cracks around the hole to spook the fish more. Putting large pieces of cardboard down on the ice around the hole helps make the area bigger and darker. Slower decoy or spinner action seems to work better. Also if you do put cardboard down make sure you can pick it up again so you aren’t littering! I like it early being you can walk around and see the perfect spot to set up the house thru the ice.

I have not had as much luck without snow as well. Fish is right, the fish are spooky with no snow cover on the ice. Its always better to have snow, so they dont see you walking around on the ice. If they cant see you, they have no idea that you are there if they were not in that area when you were cutting the hole.

I rarely have good luck early season regardless of snow cover. I never have any luck when the ice is cracking like crazy. I'll have luck right away at sun up but once the ice starts popping they seem to shut right down.

I spear thru both conditions anyways I'm an addict

B N S: Put a mirror on the top of the house above the hole:) J/K

Just saying hi to everyone. My name is Ryan. I am Fish's nephew. Live in the Twin Cities and get up to the DL/Winger area often. I like to tangle with toothy critters on a tight line, but haven't done any serious spearing for nearly 10 years. I am going to get back into it this season so I may post and ask some Qs from time to time. Looking forward to the discussions.