• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Cabela's Club Members

hanson

Hey Cabela’s Club card members, got a question for you. I received a flyer in the mail the other day for $40.00 FREE Cabela’s Merchandise if I bring the flyer and my Cabela’s Club VISA card down to the Owatonna Cabela’s April 16-18.

Anybody know what the catch is??????

Nowhere on the flyer does it say I have to purchase something to use it or other restrictions like that. They way I read it, I get $40 in ‘store credit’ or whatever you want to call it to use on whatever I want during the time the store is open on April 16-18. If I happen to pick up too many fishing lures, which I probably will, I have to pay the difference over the $40. So does anybody know if this is legit, or am I going to go down to Owatonna to find out I have to spend $100 and then I get $40 free?

Take 4 friends with you and have them sign up for the cabela,s visa. You get $40 for each that signs up. Be prepared for a full house at cabela's. Ain't life GREAT!!

------------------
Mike
Mike's Maps

No Catch! I got one last November for E. Grand Forks. Just go in and get the FREE Voucher (to be used that day only) and spend away. I also brought someone to sign up for the credit card and got an additional 20 or 40 points on my card points.
Have fun!
Bruce

[This message has been edited by Tofishem (edited 04-01-2004).]

It's a great deal, they give you a $40 in-store voucher to be used that day. The only hook is to get you down there in hopes you spend more than the $40 bucks.Although I don't think you can buy a two dollar lure and get the change back. I plan on stopping in on the way back from trout opener and pick up an $80 reel that will only cost me $40. You can't beat that, plus they do this two times a year. The only insane thing is the CROWDS, after walking thru the door, my wife gave me the look of "get this done fast and lets get the heck out of here!" I drove the 45 minutes last fall and picked up a free Croxton Pond bag. wink.gif

No catch. My wife and I both have cards for gas etc... so when we go, I get $40 worth of fishing stuff, she gets new clothes...I get to go, great deal. Used to get $50 and be able to save up the money over time. Over the first several years, I saved up and got a pair of Kahles Binocs. for about $200, the rest was covered by points from these events.

The weekend is different at the different stores, which may explain why some people haven't gotten their flyers yet. I get one from the Mitchell SD and the Owatonna store. If one were crafty......they'd blow the whole $40 they got at seperate stores on gas!

Joel

No catch! I work at the Owatonna Store and this is one of the big ones for the year! The $40.00 voucher is good only for the three day event starting this Friday. We are open until midnight on Friday. Its a good time to avoid a lot of the "weekend warriors" and get what you want incase some items run out. You can't get any cash back from the voucher if you don't spend it all, but there is plenty to tempt a guy there.
Make sure to look in the tent in the parking lot. There are going to be some cool unadvertised items there with big mark downs.
Have a great time at the Club Card event!

SHORTS

I plan on hitting the Owatonna Cabelas friday night, gonna take 3 people with, plus I have a bunch of cabela bucks burning a hole in my pocket. We put EVERYTHING on that card. Sure helps build up the BUCKS.
Just got my notice 2 days ago for the
East Grand Forks event.

Well, I started this thread so I figure I should let you all know what I bought at Cabela's last weekend.

Went in with the plan to spend my $40 and hopefully not too much more. Well, it ended up being $51 so thats not too bad. Pretty much grabbed all the Swedish Pimples & Northland Forage Minnows I could get for $40. Throw in one of those large Cabelas Fly Fishing Boxes with the ripple foam liner and I was out the door. Well, after waiting in the checkout line for about a half hour I was out the door.

For those who didn't make it- it was BUSY! Had a hard time finding a parking place without getting too creative.

I know the "event" is over, but coming from a finance background, I'll let you all in on why Cabelas could do this.

Visa, Mastercard etc. pays the company, i.e. Cabelas, Gander, Fleet, etc. around $100 for every applicant to one of the cards. That's every applicant, not every successful applicant. So this free $40 still netted Cabelas around $60 per applicant smile.gif

Not a bad gig huh!!

Usually the catch is not with the store. i.e. Cabelas, Gander etc. But the credit card company that makes a killing off of the interest. A lot of these credit card companies will also pay back the companies if their company has customers over a specific $$ amount outstanding. Hence, that is when you might see companies such as Gander give gift certificates based on a points thing for using your "Gander" credit card where ever you want. I am sure Cabelas is the same with there Cabelas Visa card.

korn-fish,

I never even thought if it that way. I just figured that Cabela's is hoping that everybody that comes through the door is going to spend more than the $40. If everybody spent an extra $20, $30, $40 or whatever, thats a lot of sales at a somewhat off peak time of year for them.

Thanks for the insight!

I work for a credit card company and korn is right - the acquisition costs for new cardholders is not cheap. Our company actually held off all marketing campaigns for a period of a few months to reduce costs and try to improve profitability on our existing customers instead.

Smart move by Cabelas. How much addiditonal spending do think they brought in that weekend? Sometimes I think we fisherman are the most gullible suckers for marketing in the entire country! "Oooo - shiny object! Must purchase shiny object!" Is that lure for FISH or FISHERMEN? grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 04-28-2004).]