• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs- State Record

TheHawgTrough

JRedig-

Is he a local guide? We may be following the same person. Would love to see him get one, especially if he's crazy enough to fish in some of the recent weather...

I think we are following the same person. IDK, this weather isn't that bad to fish in. Dress like you would for anything else you'd do outdoors this time of year, simply add different/suitable gloves to the arsenal!

it will be caught next year. out of mille lacs. remember you heard it here first. i'm pulling out everything i've learned over the years and predicting that. stocking years, growth, forage, this years slow bite and many other things i've read not just here but all the places i visit. the word is she's been caught at least a few times ( maybe not this ''she'' but the state record)but by seasoned guys that would rather see her swim than die. next year she dies. it's too bad but that's how i see it. gonna be the same old ''i could'nt revive her'' story. i'm saying she's at least a 59 lb. class fish. more if she's eating at the end of breakfast and not the beggining. and she has a big sister, but she's a different sort that eat's closer to her own rock reef/bar off any maps, out nearing the middle, away from most of the pressure. she'll die of old age.

I don't know if you guys are following the same guy I am but my buddy has 4 located that will do it. Him and his record partner were up last week and had one that would have easily done it about 10 feet short of the boat. For sure some tankers. He will be back up there a few more times yet before the ice locks up. They are running a video camera too, so a live release for sure. I just wish the DNR would consider a live release record system.

Lots of bait out there - I remember last winter the ice fishing was slow and everyone was seeing those small perch through the ice - see what happens this winter but I think it might be a little slower for a few more seasons.

I'm personally glad we didn't see any big ML fish killed this year, at least none that hit the internet. If the record is officially broken in the next few years I hope it's one that obliterates the old mark.

I think there's a handful of lakes in the state that could produce a state record next year.

I witnessed a 53" this year that didn't make it on the pond. Totally swallowed his cowgirl, couldn't even see the lure when we netted it. Blood was gushing every where at the time it was netted as well. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. All you can do is hope they get hooked in the corner of the mouth.

Quote:
IMO Steve or Jason will catch one that will be close or over the state record. Steve had a client last year that may have caught a state record. I think it was 58". The picture is on Steve's site.

The two with clients on his front page were 54" and 56" respectably. The 54" is the one that was on a scale and bounced between 52 and 54lbs, 2 years ago. The 56 was this summer early.

Quote:
IMO Steve or Jason will catch one that will be close or over the state record

IMO, i'm gonna get one too!! grin ... and she'll never leave the water... well... maybe (hopefully) on her own a few times. smile ... but not by my hand. it's going to be a fluorescent pink-purple/black full size ''Ride'' that beats her at sunrise.

The 56 1/2 x 25 is a little over 44lbs. A monster without a doubt but still 10 lbs away from the record.

the guides do put alot of time on the water and have a better chance but the record still goes to the person that is in the right spot at the right time. Mille Lacs will kick out a state record that some one will keep but I don't think it will be the first one. IMO there are 5 lakes with very stong potential to kick out the state record very soon. Probably 10 lakes in fact. But then again, I thought that is was going to happen last year and it didn't.

The Tullibies and Perch are way up. It's a Muskies dream buffet out there for sure. The state record has already been caught in Mille Lacs, I'm pretty sure of it. Those people just didn't want to kill the fish. I sit here wondering if I would have the heart to keep it. I use to say that I would keep it for sure but now I don't think that I could do it and alot of people feel that same way. If we had a way for people to register a record and release it, I think that the record would have been broken 3 years ago maybe more (from Mille Lacs). I know that all the guides have the DNR's # on speed dial and the officers in the ML area must be waiting for that call every fall but who knows...

The fish in the upper 40 low 50 pound range that are being caught out of their and released must be getting bigger. They don't just disapear and they were hungry enough to eat. That Jodi Dahlms fish is sure one HEALTHY girl from head to tail and she looks as solid as a rock. If she made it after the release (thanks) and kept growing, she is currently crushing the state record and heading towards the world record. Now, when is she going to be fooled again?