• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer hunting as it should (could) be

DaveT

I'm just asking, what would I do then? What if I am hunting at the shack in northern MN and planning to stay a week? What do I do every day if I can no longer hunt? This is a primitive shack and I love it but I would go stir crazy if I had to sit in the shack and do nothing but stoke the fire all day. Do we all have to drive separate in case someone shoots a deer too early so they can just go home and miss out on the fun that is hunting and deer camp? If you are on a week long Canadian fishing trip and you catch your limit the first day do you just sit and watch the other guys fish the rest of the week?

This is a perfect example of why your personal opinion doesn't make sense to some including me.

The idea to end party hunting would mean that every person is responsible for their own deer. There is nothing controversial in that. What is controversial is tell someone that they are not allowed to shoot as many deer as they see during their hunt as long as their are still tags in people's pockets. I think each person is responsible for their own tag.

Party hunting is legal so I can't tell you to not to do it.

Part of what I don't understand that you are willing to sit outside just long enough to shoot your deer. You love deer camp, but not enough to stay there once your tag is full? Unless of course you can continue to shoot your gun and fill someone else's tag and deprive them of that opportunity. If that's the arrangement of your group that's fine, it works for you.

I'm totally fine with you shooting a trophy on opening morning. I don't care when the deer gets shot, but I think if you choose to shoot a deer on opener than you should understand that you are done hunting for that year (if party hunting was stopped). It's not a radical idea, its used in many other states, in fact MN is one of the few that allow it.

I also agree that the "meat hunter" concept goes out the window after the first year. So there will be some early "growing pains" with a new system , but if you restricted people to shooting a buck with at least 3-points on one side, you allow younger bucks to walk one year, you increase the likelyhood hunters will have to identify their targets reducing the number of illegally taken does and the number of hunter accidents. This will mean more deer in the woods, antlered or not. Since "meat hunters" don't care about the horns, than they won't be affected by the change all that much.

And of course your example of fishing in Canada. You would keep one less than your limit and fish the rest of the week hoping to catch that last fish on the last day. That's what you would do.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to judge you, you just raise a point that many people share. I'm trying to address your idea, not your person.

My suggestion of hunting with that camera comes from the way we turkey hunt and elk hunt. There is one tag per person and no party hunting. If someone gets their animal then they can shadow one of the other hunters and photo/video the hunt, call for them or just share the woods with someone. To me, that's the fun and joy of a hunt camp and a hunt in general.

In minnesota, other than lottery areas, you can buy BONUS TAGS. You can still hunt after you shoot your buck for does. While I am totally against antler point restrictions, stopping party hunting would good. It would hlp save alot of deer and keep people from buying wives tags which is breaking the law.

Well I guess you can have your opinion and I can have mine and I don't think either one of us is going to convince the other.

I just think you will have a hard time convincing a DNR that is trying to recruit more hunters into the sport to put even more restrictions on it. These things you speak of like party hunting are Minnesota traditions just as much as hunting itself is a Minnesota tradition. I think if you took the pulse of the average deer hunter you would find more that think like me than that think like you.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Great post. My response is that the road to [PoorWordUsage] is paved with good intentions and I think that the QDM and the catch and release crowd is going to usher in some bad times for hunting and fishing, while having good intentions.

The further we get away from just going out and catching a stringer of fish to eat and keep moving towards catching fish only to release is when we've really armed our enemies with tools to question our ethics. Would you shoot a deer with a tranquilizer gun, snap some photos and then revive it for release?

When we only care about shooting large inedible-antlered deer and focus less on getting outdoors for the experience with hopes of shooting some venison for the freezer, we've left our outdoor heritage behind and we've opened the doors again for our enemies to question what exactly it is that we're doing out there. Do we need to only harvest deer with "six points on each side" that are so old and tough that we do nothing more than cape it out and cut the head off for mounting and leave the rest?

I think many of you have lost your way and need to start thinking about what it is we're doing and what we want hunting and fishing to be. If we don't, this picture painted might sound like the good old days by 2050.

This quote was writen by FM member Piker. It was originally posted in the deer hunting forum in a thread titled "Deer hunting in 2050" I hope Piker doesn't mind me quoting it here but I think he does a good job of summing up how I feel about the heritage of hunting in Minnesota.

Well I guess you can have your opinion and I can have mine and I don't think either one of us is going to convince the other.

I just think you will have a hard time convincing a DNR that is trying to recruit more hunters into the sport to put even more restrictions on it. These things you speak of like party hunting are Minnesota traditions just as much as hunting itself is a Minnesota tradition. I think if you took the pulse of the average deer hunter you would find more that think like me than that think like you.

Just my opinion.

I completely agree with everything you said. I said it earlier in fact. Part of the problem with change is that so many things are completely a part of the MN hunting tradition.

I'm not trying to convince you of my way of thinking. I don't expect you to change your ideas at all.

I am not fully on board with antler-restrictions either, but we do have one here. It says a legal buck must have one spike at least 3" long.

Restricting party hunting wouldn't change the rate of hunters gained, but it might cost us a few hunters who think hunting is only fun if they can shoot as many deer as they have tags and sometimes deer that no one has a tag for like the guy who shoots one for his wife who isn't hunting.

I think the best thing to keep little Johnny interested is letting him fill his own tag rather than having uncle Bill shoot his deer for him because he saw one first.

Restricting party hunting wouldn't change the rate of hunters gained, but it might cost us a few hunters who think hunting is only fun if they can shoot as many deer as they have tags and sometimes deer that no one has a tag for like the guy who shoots one for his wife who isn't hunting.

I think the best thing to keep little Johnny interested is letting him fill his own tag rather than having uncle Bill shoot his deer for him because he saw one first.

If the guys wife isn't hunting, which is what I think you are getting at, then he would already be illegal. More legislation is not going to stop people who are going to be unlawfull anyway. This scenario could and would still happen no matter if party hunting is legal or illegal.

Another way to keep little Johnny interested is to allow him to actually shoot something without having to make sure it has enough antler points on it. In the places that I hunt we are lucky to just see any deer let alone monster bucks.

I think hunting and fishing needs to return to it's roots or it will be lost forever someday.

First of all I want to thank everyone for taking the time to discuss a topic that I feel is very important. Most of your posts were well written and no matter your opinion on the topic, I think that discussing it civilly in this sort of venue can only leed to positive outcomes.

I would like to give my final thoughts on it, as I think it has run it's course.

I've read several times that I should hunt or scout smarter, that MN has plenty of trophy bucks, I'm lazy and I want to kill them the easy way.

In my opinion, there is no easier way to kill a deer than with a scoped rifle or shotgun. That is why I only hunt with a bow. I have 4 separate metro hunting spots, all are private land, ranging from 10 to 80 acres. This year I spent several weekends scouting, hanging sets, and turning up ground and planting food plots. I never once hunted a set with a bad wind, I made sure I was as scent free as possible, and I make every effort to not educate the deer that I hunt. I'd like you to tell my wife that I don't spend enough time and energy on scouting and hunting, but you may want to borrow Niklas Backstrom's goalie equipment before you do. If I was lazy or only concerned with bragging about shooting big bucks, I would just bait, trespass, or hunt at night. There is a great sense of accomplishment from doing things the right way, and that is where I get my thrill.

There are trophy bucks in MN, one need only to open the Outdoor News and you will see dozens in every issue for the next few months. My contention is there could be a lot more with a few changes to the rules.

I've also read that I should be proud and content with the hunting I have here now, and if I don't like it, I should continue to leave the state and hunt where the big bucks come easy.

Rest assured, I will continue hunting out of state. None of the big bucks I have ever shot have come easily, they have come easier than MN, but I still spend multiple weekends out of state every year, doing the same things I do around here. Hanging sets, planting/maintaining food plots, securing hunting permission, even putting up barbed wire fence for our farmer in Iowa. I work just as hard for my out of state bucks as I do for my MN bucks, the only difference is I see a lot more of them out of state.

I am proud to be a Minnesotan, however if you told me that I've been drinking contaminated water for the last 20 years and I should continue to drink it because it's Minnesota water, I'd tell you to pass the Aquafina. If you are happy with mediocrity, good for you, our world leaders need more followers just like you.

Lastly, I've read that antler restrictions will lead to lower recruitment rates, and stopping the party hunting is unfair.

I personally don't think antler restrictions are necessary if we implement the other things, but I wouldn't be opposed to them either. It would be very simple to write the law so that hunters under the age of 16? 18? 20? are allowed to harvest any buck, and only impose the restriction on older, and presumably more experienced hunters. As far as the party hunting tradition is concerned, the most unfair thing I can imagine is little Johnny or Susie not being able to shoot their first buck because uncle JimBob just shot his 121st, 122nd and 123rd forkhorn. We are not allowed to shoot each others ducks or pheasants, why can we shoot each others deer? If you can't see the logic in shooting your own deer, I don't have the skills to educate you on this one.

This entire thread is about improving the deer hunting in MN for everyone, not just trophy hunters. By managing your herd for age classes, you spread the harvest out through those age classes, which results in more bucks of all ages for all of us to hunt, trophy or meat hunter. I guarantee you will see more deer, more bucks, and have more fun deer hunting than you ever have before.

I have a couple of head mounts on the wall at my cabin. I am sure they would not compare to yours, but I am happy with them. A few years ago I decieded that I have shot enough bucks. I have passed up many nice anmials since then, and have allowed a lot of kids to take there first hunt on my property. In the last 5 years seven youth have taken there first deer (six of them bucks) on my land. I can tell you that in each case I felt better seeing the excitement on there faces then I do looking at my wall mounts.

I think that everyone should ask themselves before they go out hunting " If everyone would do this would we be better or worst off" If that happened we wouldn't need new laws.

I do not mean to upset anyone but the next time you see that trophy buck ask yourself how good you would feel if you were to give someone on there first hunt a chance to harvest that anmial.

Good luck hunting!

Originally Posted By: BARNEZ
By the way what is a good recipe for antlers?

I've never understood this logic. If you want food for the table, take a doe, not a small buck. Shooting a doe makes sense for many, many reasons. IMO shooting a little buck accomplishes three things usually: 1) it's great for those who haven't shot a buck or many deer before, 2) doesn't allow a small buck to grow into a big buck, and 3) most importantly, lets people pad their ego and say "I got my buck".

There are so many levels that I disagree with you that I dont know where to start. Dosen't a small Buck taste the same as a Doe. Food is Food, you guys out there that have turned a season of puting food on the table into a comercial sport should be ashamed of yourselves. How many shows on T.V. are there now that want you to BUY the latest and greatest $k!T that they say will get you your Buck? These guys dont hunt. Many of them are invited to a guided ranch that wants the publisity of having a T.V. show use there sevice.I never ever hear the opening line of a hunting show say"Here we are on some great public hunting land in North central MN". Of course not!!! Where's the money in that?

I hunt for MEAT. you guys out there that put all the importance on horns are the problem with deer hunting.Not the guys shooting small bucks for food. I've seen Does in my life that would put even the smartest bucks to shame. I bet if you scouted and hunted a 3-4 year old Doe the way you guys hunt the same age bucks you would come up empty handed more often hunting the doe than you would with the buck. That just shows how much importants some of you have put into horns and Money hunting. MONEY will get me the big one, when meat on the table should be the goal.I would love to get a nice buck someday but its not in any way the reason I hunt. In My Opinion if your hunting horns and passing up deer for bigger horns, GO HOME. Or better yet,GO TO KANSAS and stay there.

the mentallity of: "if it's brown it's down" or "I'm a meat hunter" has to harvest a buckfawn or a 1.5 year old buck over taking a doe for food,just shows that that deer hunters skills haven't progressed beyond the beginner, just as in farming you start in pickles then progress to bigger and better things like corn. wich by the way happens to be a favorite food of the whitetailed deer for all you beginners out there.

the mentallity of: "if it's brown it's down" or "I'm a meat hunter" has to harvest a buckfawn or a 1.5 year old buck over taking a doe for food,just shows that that deer hunters skills haven't progressed beyond the beginner, just as in farming you start in pickles then progress to bigger and better things like corn. wich by the way happens to be a favorite food of the whitetailed deer for all you beginners out there.

B.S. hunting became a trophy SPORT when your kind came along. Trophy's are for bowling and racing not hunting. Find a new hobby.

Hunt, fair chase, conservation and hunting ethics...Boone and Crockett club established by Teddy Roosevelt back in 1887 when my kind came along. you should join you wouldn't have any deer to eat or for sport if it wasn't for them.

Okay,

PF, take it easy, funny how a thread like this starts out in a civil manner and turns into a bashing thread. I hate that more than anything. We are all hunters in the end right? Stop acting like children and be thankfull that we all have the freedom to choose what deer we shoot. I enjoy passing on small deer too, if you shoot them for food, great! I shoot does for food and like to try to outsmart a nice buck, where ISN'T the sport in that mentality....I guess I need to find a different hobby too... confused

In reply to BigDave "Another way to keep little Johnny interested is to allow him to actually shoot something without having to make sure it has enough antler points on it. In the places that I hunt we are lucky to just see any deer let alone monster bucks."

Youth under 16 are allowed to shoot any deer in MN. There are no restrictions on doe permits with youth hunters. That is to ensure they can shoot any deer they see in order to get them more interested by harvesting their own animal.

These "unrestricted" youth tags are not eligible for party hunting according to MN regs, but we all know people do it all the time. This is because they think that party hunting should extend to all tags in their group, including the youth tags. If party hunting wasn't in this state, than that "tradition" would tempt people to break the law.

The DNR could never come up with a program to satisfy all the deer hunter and what each wants. When I started deer hunting, I wanted a deer. Now 35 years later and probably 100 deer, I enjoy a doe for tablefare and then its the rack I will hunt.

Thats my choice and if anyone else wants to hunt differently, thats fine also. We cannot and should not tell others what they should hunt and how they should enjoy their love for deer hunting.

Go out, get in a tree and shoot what you believe is the right deer for you and have fun doing it.

Every state has different laws and different ways they manage their deer herd. I choose to hunt outstate as I believe my chances might be better for the larger rack that I personally would like to harvest. No, I cannot eat the rack but I like the challenge those larger bucks give one.

As the MN DNR has regional meetings to see what the sportsman want, I don't know that we can blame them. Too many hunters want too many differents ways to hunt or different programs.

How does the DNR keep them all happy? I'm glad I don't have that job.

As big game biologists and deer managers I would think a more balanced age class of bucks would be a goal of the D.N.R. Sustaining populations and keeping the herd disease free does not make it a healthy herd, you have to have a natural balance of age class as mom nature intended. harvesting 80% 1.5 year old bucks year after year is stupid. Go to the deer classic, I measure there and it gets worse in quality and quantity of antlers every season, sure monsterbucks get shot with 1/2 million hunters you'll get a few of 'em but with minnesota's antler point restriction of at least one 3" spike won't get you a balanced herd.

The DNR will never make everyone happy (impossible!) They should shake things up a little bit, and change some things like move the rifle season later,and eliminate party hunting. Teach some of the old dogs new tricks, and I would think after a few years them old dogs would start to see the light.