• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Reel?

katoguy

It is time for me to once again look at purchasing a couple new left-hand bait casters. (annual thing)

Last year I bought 3 Citicas and a Curado. I do like the Shimanos (I also have a higher-end Calais 201A.) I seem to remember Fluker saying he was going to all Pflueger Presidents??? What am I missing out on staying with Shimano?

I still have several Abu's that need replacing... They are just wore out. They were lesser expensive reels in their day ($50-$70 each).

I also have a Johnny Morris Signature Series reel that seems nice. I picked it up on HSOList too late in the season to give it a try. I really like the top end Johnny Morris BPS rods that I have (70-85 million modulus graphite) so I thought I'd give the reel a try.

Youre not missing out on anything by sticking with shimano. Shimano has redone their citica and curado while keepin the same price or lowering them. If youre a shimano guy take a good look into them.

Im a shimano guy but if i had to choose another reel it would be from the revo series.

I just got to see the new curado and citica in person for the first time yesterday when the shimano rep came to our store in iowa city...man those things are nice! I really like what they have done with the spinning reels too.

katoguy, not sure if I can mention this on the forum, but I'll see what happens... I've got 3 brand new left handed abu garcia revos that I'm looing to get rid of for less than full price. 2 skeet reese's and 1 STX. If your interested my email is [email protected] All proceeds will go towards the University of Iowa Bass Fishing Team in funding for our new jersey's.

Youre not missing out on anything by sticking with shimano. Shimano has redone their citica and curado while keepin the same price or lowering them. If youre a shimano guy take a good look into them.

I agree you are not missing anything with sticking to Shimano and the Curados look awesome!

My buddy bought a new shimano curado this fall and has had the chance to use it quite a bit. Has says it is hands down the nicest baitcater he has used. Things he liked were the large grips and the small size without loosing line capacity. Plus the reel itself looks awesome! I will definetly be purchasing some this winter!

I didn't quite say that, but close I guess. I'm a hard core Shimano guy myself. But the last models they put out I HATED. I'll not dig to much there, but it was very disappointing. So if that was the direction that Shimano was heading, then I needed to look for another brand. I had Pfluegers in college and like them, and I have a President and a Summit now and like both of them a lot. So that was the direction I was likely going to head.

HOWEVER, I don't think I was the only one upset with the last model from Shimano. Seems like decided to "un fix" what wasn't broken. smile Just got my new Curado E7 in the mail on Thursday and I think I'm really going to like it.

I still might try and pick up a Revo STX before spring as I've heard good things about them. However Shimano is back on my good side. I would love to see them start producing the Chronarch 100 MG again. I hear new Chronarch's on the way next year, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Fluker- I see what you're saying, but if they didn't change the old curado, ford would still sell everyone the old 7.3L powerstrokes. I think that this new curado will give the old one a run for its money. I did like the 101 curado though.

Tonka, I completely understand and agree. After the Curado D came out though, and it was a worse product at a higher price, it was hard not to have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality". But you are correct. It was a time when many new changes were being made. They struck out big time with the D series, but I think they've hit a homerun with the E series. Change is a good thing now I believe. :o)

For lefties, it is hard to beat the Abu line. They now have high speed lefties, crankin' lefties (5.3:1 in the Winch), mag brakes or centrifugal and super light weight in the Premiers. I have seen the Curados and Citicas but they are not all available in leftie which is a mistake I think.

Hi, my name is Bob and I am an gear addict . . .

For the money, I really like my Revos.

Also just got a steal of a deal on one of the 2009 redesigned Pflueger President wide spools. Haven't tired it yet fishing, but feels great messing with it at the house. Same body as the Patriarch which I think is basically the same as the BPS Johny Morris reels.

I have two Fuego's and a Zillion and love them! I also have a couple Revo's which are great. I did pick up a citica on sale couple years ago and the thing works great but it just seem gigantic and heavy in comparison with my other reels. Looks like Shimano is finally catching up on the size and weight this year. Like someone else said though, I'm a lefty and I'm not sure they offer lefty versions yet.