• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am considering buying a mint used Browning semi-auto (BAR) in 7mm. I have shot a Remington Model 742 .30-06 for the last 40 years.

Any comments on this firearm and the 7MM shell for whitetails and moose would be appreciated.

Thx Al

I have one. Comments: Shoots ok. Not overly great, but good enough for most circumstances. Not a beanfield gun, but 200 maybe 250 and in, it is great. Heavy, great for stand hunting, not so great to hump around the elk mountains for days. Has cycled flawlessly. Gunsmith told me to be careful to not put much oil in the barrel as it can run down the ports and gum it up. Pretty gun. 7mm is fine, you WILL have to change bullets from whitetails to moose most likely, but that is no big deal. You will have to re-zero it. Unless you use a 165 grain Barnes TSX. that should handle both.

Alleyoop,

I also own one in 7MM mag Safari grade. Good gun and as Cody says it is heavy. Very little recoil, my 11 year old used it this year and has put maybe 40 rounds through it at the range. I have a VX III 4.5x14 on it and would feel comfortable shooting in excess of 300-350 yards with it.(not my son)with the quality of the wood I don't like to cary this gun in heavy woods. I use one of my synthetic stocked guns for that.

I shoot a Browning bolt in a 7MM rem mag and it is excellent on whitetails. It is a very heavy gun with the synthetic stock and longer barrel but in the stand it is excellent especially on a field where the shots are longer and you have more time to react. Not very good in the woods or even freehand versus off of the stand as a rest although I think I could get better freehand if needed.

I'e got a 30-06 in a Remington 742 as well. I also have the Browning you mentioned. I use the Remington all the time for deer hunting and keep the Browning ready as backup. The Browning is just to pretty to hunt with for me!

i've got a winchester model 70 in 7mm rem mag. won't ever own a different rifle. zeroed in at 200 yards with 2 inch groups. however, with rifle ammo no longer made, so we'll see how it works with different stuff. win model 70's are longer guns, so not great walking through brush with, but have taken deer out to 400 yards with it. i guess its knowing your guns abilities and shooting at long ranges to know if its a shot you can take, or not.

the best ammo my rifle shot consistently with was federal premium vital shock sierra game king boattails. 165 grains, very flat shooting ammo, just not made any more

I just bought a Browning 7MM Xbolt this year and it shoots sub 2 inch groups at 200 yards. Haven't gotten to shoot a deer with it yet however frown My uncle owns a BAR 7MM and hasn't missed a deer with it yet nor had it jam on him. Slightly less accurate than a bolt though.

I bought my gun for the same reason. I want something that can handle deer, bear, elk and moose. I would say the 7MM is probably the best all around North American cartridge.