• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hardcore water hunters?

Anyone else here planning on searching for some open water this weekend for ducks? We hunted over the water today and shot 6 mallards, a ringer, and 2 geese. But unfortunately I cannot go tomorrow morning because of class and tomorrow night its going to be awfully cold, so Friday morning might be breakin ice or hittin a field.

We have a couple spots that do not freeze up until till later usually but we might resort to the fields.

South Dakota hunt earlier this year, at least it wont be this bad.

cold-1.jpg

Ya Im going out this weekend to hunt the minnesota river my sloughs are all tight with ice, so then the river heats up if there are any ducks around, deer season change in southern minnesota to a 9 day really screwed my d uck hunting up as I couldnt go to my areas over deer season frown

I have been hunting hard on the river and plan on going to the seasons end. I absolutely love thist ime of yr it's when the greenies really stack up on the available open water. I guess I am fortunate in that I have enclosed heated blinds so it makes it alot easier to hunt with the colder temps.

I was out on Marsh on Monday we paddled about two and a half miles to an island that was closed until Nov 4 due to disease and we did well on the mallards and by the time I got back to the launch I had about 20 pounds of ice on the kayak. It was a blast I wish the ice wasn't forming as we were paddling out from the hunt or we would have been out on Tuesday morning as well.

River was slow this morning got 2 greenheads but only saw a couple others. Yesterday the greenheads were everywhere easy day to get your birds even managed a few widgeon. Whole new story this morning alot of them must have vacated S last night with the frigid temps not much flying, I'm sure some new birds will move in again so the game is still on.

ND two weeks ago, 3 inches of rain then 8 inches of snow; temp 17 deg and SSW wind 25-35mph. PERFECT! All "fair weather hunters" gone and the whole area to myself.

DSC01173.jpg

Got a Swan tag and he weighed in at 21lbs

DSC01167.jpg

The COLDER, WINDIER THE BETTER! If the birds would be here in January and if it was legal i would be out every day!