• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Buster Bobbers: Real deal or gimmick?

Cast Master

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I'm starting to think maybe you guys like your Ice Busters, but not quite sure... laugh

HOLY CRUD. Is there any other product out there where you've seen 6 pages of YES YES YES replies and nobody complained? Kudos to you, Bruce, on putting out an awesome ice fishing product!

Oh, and +1 on all the above replies. I love mine - always have 'em with.

I haven't fished with a bobber in six seasons, but if I ever decide to use one again, I won't have to look far. Ice Buster bobbers are a part of my "Gotta Have" ice tackle box which includes;

stinger, regular, and quick strike hooks

weights for both rod/reel rigs and tipups

various sizes of swivels and snaps

bobber stops, beads, crimps, and blades

Ice Buster Bobbers

I've never used one, but I've been around enough guys who do, and I realize it'd be foolish not to have some. There will be a time, and I want to be prepared.

Would you believe I don't have any?

That's right I don't. I still got my little thills and I have those little floats that at times when I feel like "playing around" I chain them together more/less to get that just barely floating effect.

If you ever used one, your Thills would go in your summer box, believe me. I stuck my hand in my Strikemaster coat pocket the other day, Ice Buster in it. Must be from last season

Bruce and Today's Tackle will be in the Thorne Bros booth at both the St. Paul Ice Show and the New York Ice Show. Stop by and chat with him... you will walk away a much better ice angler and you'll be wondering why you even second guessed yourself on the Ice Buster smile

All I can say is THANK YOU for all the great replies!!! I put alot of thought into the Ice Buster Bobber. The best part was my first night out to test them. 1-1/2" of ice, I slipped onto Maple Lake. Pumped up the Coleman Lantern, Chipped two holes, checked my depth and put a sucker minnow on the first rod. I jigged the bobber 3 times and said to myself, these are going to work and then the Ice Buster went down. I let it be for about a minute and set the hook into a 12lb Walleye. It was awesome! Took two photos and released her.

I always tell people to save the trimmed pieces for summer fishing. I put the Foam Walker (Standing Slip Sinker) on my line for slip rigging, followed by a 3' leader with a plain red hook and a piece of the bobber foam (pushed onto the hook) for a floater/attractor with a leech. This is one awesome rig. I've caught a lot of Walleyes doing this. If you stop your rig, The yellow foam will keep your bait up wiggling in the strike zone.

Oh yeah, we are talking about the bobbers!

Don't trim the bobber down until you have your jig and bait on. Then you can trim it for the maximum sensitivity you need. If the Crappies or Bluegills are biting very lite, trim it down enough so the bobber very slowly sinks down the hole. As it's sinking and the Bobber stops - Set The Hook! Fish on.

Never use a plastic bead with Ice Busters. I made the slotted hole to act as a bead that lets your line zip through quicker. A plastic bead only freezes up and slows down the line to much.

If you night fish you can poke a starter hole with a toothpick into the top of the Ice Buster and insert a 3mm glow stick for a few hours of great visibility.

I read in one post that the Ice buster falls off in the summer. It will eventually. They wern't made for summer but I and alot of people use them. I made a summer bobber called the Wave Buster Bobber. It has a different bottom that wont let your line sneak out and it is weighted for further casts. IT is more visible and can also be trimmed down for smaller jigs and fish.

I'm sorry I pulled a Rip Van Winkel and finally woke up to check out this great site. I've been a little busy lately. Now I need to hit the ice and do some Reasearch and Development. Sounds like a tough job doesn't it!:) Nothing funner than FIRST ICE!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Be safe on the ice,

Bruce Mosher

OK OK Bruce, I met you at last years ice show. Seem like a trustworthy enough guy, but about this 12 lbs walleye. Now, you say you snapped a couple pics. I am afraid I am going to ask to have you post them, you know- so we can believe you laugh

In all seriousness, you invented a great product, and I have yet to hear of anything bad being said about them.