• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fargo/Moorhead Area Pheasants?

How far would one have to travel from Moorhead to find some good public pheasant hunting? Any advice or recommendations? I know there are some WMAs to the east and southeast not too far away. Would those work? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Please email me at gilgamesh24 at gmail.com

15 years ago we did well around the F/M area on pheasants. My brother went to NDSU and I'd stay with him on weekends from time to time, he'd always take me fishing or out chasing roosters. We were always in East of Moorehead, within an hour of his apartment. Sorry, I can't remember exactly where, but it tells you there must be rooty's in the area...

Good luck!

I grew up in Moorhead, moved to Tonka less than 2 years ago, and there are some birds in the area but not alot. If you are willing to work for them, you could have some success. The other problem is that some of the state land gets hit pretty hard. There are a few WMAs and WPAs straight east of Downer that are okay.

When I go back home to pheasant, I don't even consider pheasant hunting in Minnesota. I buy a ND license, get a PLOTS guide and head south and west. There are WAY more birds in ND.

Pretty tough to find decent numbers of phesants within an hour of Moorhead on the Minnesota side. The Fergus and Whapeton area holds some birds. On the North Dakota side, the possiblities are endless. There's some great hunting to be had within 50 miles of town. Head west, south, or somewhere in-between. Pick up a free plots map, and you'll be good to go. I've shot many limits of roosters without dogs on the ND side of the boarder.

There are some WMA's between Hawley and Barnesville. If you ever travel the Downer road you drive right past a couple. Can't remember the name of it right off hand , but there is a Minnesota hunting and fishing atlas that has WMA's and WPA's for that area. It also lists that habitat. Cool book