• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Caution needed on Holiday ice!

Ed Carlson

Sheltered ponds and some smaller lakes should freeze up fairly quickly with the temps we are seeing now. If we can keep the snow away for a while we should get some decent ice to test here in the Dakota's and Minnesota.

On any of the regions rivers and tributaries it will be a long while yet due to the high water and fast flows. I do not recommend anyone attempt them any time soon. They are often my first spots, on tributaries, but not this year...far too dangerous of conditions.

I always toss this out near the Thanksgiving Holidays is take time to tell kids that No Matter What...stay off the rivers and city ponds. Many of the city drainage and flood mitigation ponds have crusted over but they are prone to spring effects and weak ice is a high certainty at this time.

Please..... take time to warn kids and visiting relatives and friends children of this very real danger to avoid any potential tragedies.

Good advice Ed ... nothing more tragic than hearing news stories of kids drowning going thru thin ice. Don' remember when, but I recall this happening a few years ago.

Last year we had kids ice skating way to close to open ice on our lake.

Yes sir, Big kids like us do some dangerous silly things on early ice, and we should know better.

So by making a point to stress these concerns of early ice dangers and how currents and springs, and especially on rivers pose high danger we may educate and protect our youth...and maybe a few Big Kids too.

A ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.