• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice for trip to Mille lacs?

Smitty20

Hi Fellas-

I'm trying to plan an ice fishing trip for about 8 guys with little to no ice fishing experience. Probably a 10-14 hole house to rent for the weekend.

About half the group is from Iowa, so I was thinking something as far south as possible.

I've noticed a bunch of outfitters on Mille Lacs, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

And if you've got any better ideas for lakes than Mille Lacs, I'd be open to those too.

I searched threads and everyone seems to really like the lakes up north, but that's too far a trip for everyone, so it's gotta be Equal to or south of Mille lacs.

Any insight you can provide would be much apprecitated.

Thanks ahead of time

Smitty

Sorry Rick, didn't mean to sound bad on that one, just trying to help.

If you are just looking for a good time with they guys, then mille lacs will be a good lake. I would not count on catching a lot of fish if you go out of a resort house. I have been to several, and I have found Mcquoids to have really nice houses. Thats not to say that there are not others. I think Mcquoids biggest house is something like a 14X32 with 7 beds and 14 holes. All are very nice with comfortable mattresses. They may be a little more spendy, but very good service and very nice houses. Just my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-16-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ears (edited 10-16-2004).]

Smitty,
I'm sure you'd have a good time on Mille Lacs, but if you don't mind driving a couple of hours further I think you will have better fishing on Lake of the Woods. Plus you'll have an opportunity to stop at Red for a little crappie action.

Good Luck,
Scott

On ice accomodations for (8) in one house might tough in itself Smitty.
Maybe consider two smaller houses and you will be able to stay more south to cut your travel time.
Another option is day rental of a large house or smaller ones and lodge at a all season resort for your sleeping accomodations. Some have the entire package for you !!

Thank you guys...

From reading this forum, it definitely appears the fishing is better up north.

For this group, a few fish and MANY beers would probably suffice. wink.gif

Which winter month has the best luck? Is there one?

Still haven't talked about "when" they all want to do this.

With a low priority on "fish results" any month is a good month just for the experience in my book smile.gif
Should a few fish come through the holes and remind me I'm fishing and not in a therapy session with the comforts of home out on a frozen lake, well then thats all the better smile.gif

"With a low priority on "fish results" any month is a good month just for the experience in my book smile.gif"

That's kind of what I was thinking...

If the fellas have a good time, I can plan a trip farther up north next year.

these guys have some nice, big houses, but I have no idea of their reputation. Ever heard of 'em?

http://www.twinpinesmillelacs.com/rates.htm

Smitty thats weird you asked.. I went with my Dad one time who met some guys in Garrison and had a rental in the Garrison bay there and I swear those houses were from the resort you mention. I remember the house good and the big black numbers.. Nice roads, houses.. don't know much about the ammenities as we fished day and early evening and left the other guys as it was their rental....

Update time:

Well I booked a 10 man icehouse for the weekend of 2/18. Everyone is really looking forward to it. I may even have to upgrade to the 14 man, because people hear about it and want to join us smile.gif

Do you guys have any suggestions on supplies to bring? We're all first timers wink.gif

Also, how's the fishing been so far this season, anyone been up to Mille Lacs.

My buddy was on Gull Lake last weekend, and only had 2 bites all weekend. The guy warned him that it was almost too cold for any fish activity, but they had a blast anyway...

ihaven't been up there this year yet but i have talked to many guys who have been catching many nice walleyes and perch! hope that you guys have a great time up there especially with Twin Pines we were very pleased with them the last time we were up there!! GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!