• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite bullet for .50 TC Omega

DRH1175

250gr Barnes X bullets all copper with polymer tip. I have shot 6 deer with these bullets, only recovered 1. It was a 169yd shot on a large bodied buck quartering away, we found the bullet under the hide in the far shoulder. 100% weight retention, perfect mushroom.

I have the Pro Hunter. I have to shoot the TC Shockwave's. I swear they bored the barrel just a hair smaller so you have to and if I put anything else down the barrel it gets lodged. I will be trying it out over thanksgiving to see how accurate it is this year but I have a nice scar on my palm of my hand from when one lodged and my hand slipped off of the ram rod onto the front sight.

I use the TC Cheap Shot Sabots. 240 grains, all lead bullet. About a 1/3 of the price of the other TC sabots. Accurate out to 200 on the range. Great expansion and blow up in deer. I guess I am eating lead though-considering all the recent studies. Maybe that explains why I'm so odd smile

I am looking for a good bullet for MN hunting. I have shot the shock waves and the hornady sst. This year I tried the Hornady xtp's in tc sabots. Too hard to load. What is everyone most happy with?

Hornady XTP and sst are very good bullets. Usually when I find out that the sabot is too hard to load. I'll use harvester crush rib sabot, It'll make the loading that much easier. I use it on all my bullet combos. My favorite bullet would be 300 gr. Gold Dot HP and harvester CR sabot push by 100gr. 777. It'll knock out any deer out to 100 easily, if I do my part.

Hornady SST in the easier to load low drag version 250 Grain. This will be my primary shot or first load into the gun.

I'm also shooting the Powerbelt Platinum in the 270 grain. They shot the same out of the gun so I'm going to use the platinums as my follow up shots because they fit a lot better in my reloaders. The sabots stick out a lot more from where the bullet is held in the loader.

Ryan

What do you guys think about 223 grain? i have been shooting them without any problems but was thinking of switching to a heavier load before i go to the range this year. I am worried about knock down power or lack thereof if a get a longer shot, say past 100 yards. i have not had any opportunities that long since taking up muzzleloading.

Anyone had problems with the 223?

I am with Jonny P Shockwave is an excellent bullet to shoot out of a TC I have shot Hornady's but I have battle wounds like others have mentioned on here - They just go in that hard! The Shockwaves load smooth and shoot straight - I use 245 or 250 grain sabots with 100grains of 777 pellets in my TC Encore. Good Luck to all- Griz29

i love the powerbelts in my .50 omega...nice and easy to load...real nice groups.

i was shooting the ballistic tip 245 grains with 100gr of triple 7.....ran out of bullets and made a midnight walmart run to find they only had the 295 grain hollow points so i gave them a try today.

still pushing 100gr of triple 7 and with some small adjustments to my sights i'm about 2-3 inches high at 50 and right around on the nuts at 100.

with the fiber optic sights i don't plan on shooting past 100 yards...at that distant the pin gets so big it looks like it takes up a 1x1 ft area on the target lol.

i played around at 50 cause i plan on taking one 50 and under...i put 4 shots in a row in a spot about the size of a 50 cent piece...i was pretty happy with that.

What gets me is how every gun is so different. One gun will shoot Power Belts perfect and the next is sabot style. Like mine will not shoot Power Belts period but I have buddy that uses them with awesome groups but give him the sabots and its a mess?

Always wondered what makes that difference.

i agree jonny...best thing for a guy to do is just get a couple different loads and see what works best for their gun.

just like some guns aren't that accurate with the magnum 150gr load of powder or pellets but is on the money with 90-100gr.

everything could be different depending on the barrel twist or length of the barrel, type of bullet, amount of gun powder, ect.

just like everything you can soak up some info but in the end you have to see what is right for you.