• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best LX5 companion flasher

FishingWebGuy

I picked up an LX-5 last year and love it. This year all my son wants for Christmas is a flasher of his own so he can hole hop out of the house and not be without.

I don't feel like spending $5xx + on another LX-5 for him so I'm wondering what flasher will work well along side my Marcum with the least interference?

TIA

To answer your question.. No.. I think MarCum has the best interferance rejection out there. The new MarCums supposedly are even better.. They are calling them "Tuned".. I would think the VX-1 or LX-3 would be ok, but you may run into problems in deep water and or over very hard bottom.. But then again, if you had another LX-5 you may have problems in those situations. The shallower the water, and the softer the bottom, the less problems your going to have.

I would say under normal conditions, you should be ok with any MarCum product you get, I just make no promises.

Just remember when fishing, you can help him as well by adjusting your own gain down some and adjusting your IR as well... You can also go to a narrow beam and help him if he is having issues as well.

Last year we had a LX5, FL20, FL18 all going in the same house and handled it no problem.

For me it is best to first adjust the gain on the units down. Then only do the Interferance Rej adjustments on one unit at a time (if necessary) - usually starting with the one that has the most interference. You'll drive each other nuts if everyone tries to adjust the IR all at the same time. After you get rid of the interferance, then adjust your gain for the size lure.

Only had an issue couple times and that was because of bad transducers (on a used LX-3tc and referb'd FL20 - that were new purchases) After the ducers were fixe they were good to go.

I e-mailed NatureVision/MarCum to see if I could get you an exact answer to your question.. this is what I got...

Quote:
MarCum's patented interference rejection works in concert with the total

system performance of any MarCum unit. In the sonar world more power means a

better return signal with less noise and less filtering. Sending and

receiving a strong clean signal with less distortion aids the receiver

ability to filter, amplify, detect and display its own return signal and

eliminate cross talk between flashers. In addition to the IR the LX-5 has

additional features that can aid you in eliminating IR issues those being

Super Fineline (Which shortens the Pulse width) and narrow beam (which

obviously narrows the cone) The best answer to the question then would be

another LX-5 but essentially any MarCum would be a good companion unit.

Right now you can pick up last years VX-1's for under 200.00!

Thanks everybody for all the info. I would have no problem getting another LX-5 besides the fact that he doesn't tend to take care of his stuff. I'd hate to see it fall down a hole or get broken some other way after only a couple months of use.

We were on a weekend fishing trip 2 weeks ago and he broke 3 rods within 24 hours.

Based on the info here, it sounds like the best bet is to stick with Marcum. VX-1s for $200.00 sounds about right for his first flasher.

NCL good points on adjusting IR individually. I'll keep that in mind when we're out there.

Thanks again

They are $199 at Gander right now, while supplies last.

Also there are a few..a very limited few GM GS-1 Marcum units made for Gander Mtn that were on clearance and less than $199..significantly less. Cabela's also had a version made by Marcum and there version was also clearanced significantly..not sure if they have any yet..worth a call to see. I remember them being $149.97 at one time.

It appears he has his answer but for those that continue to read this Hovermn has an LX 5 and I have an LX 3 we were also fishing with a FL18. When we were fishing together on burntside in 60 FOW with a hard bottom, we didnt have a problem if,

a) we placed the ducer's at the bottom of the hole, not below the bottom of the ice and not way up in the hole.

B) we didnt have the gains set super high

c) if Hovermn didnt use the Fine line or whatever it was called on the lx 5.

I normaly fishing with him in the same house and dont have any issues being able to isolate the signals, Unless he is using the superfine line feature. I have never been able to get rid of that line. What we normaly do is make sure that we have the gains down, around 2 or so and then I attempt to isolate him out. If i cant he hits his adjustment one time and I continue to try. So I would say take the lower units and try the interference rejection, if you cant get rid of the lx5 have the lx5 user hit thier rejection one time and repeat the process.

Hope this helps.

I also think that when hovermn switched to the wider cone it would mess up a little,but we managed to isolate it to the poing where i could still fish, and i dont have the True color upgrade on my lx3 so i would assume it would be better with that upgrade.( i woudlnt be able to send that in and do that would i?)

ShawnnyB