• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep Sled Portable Shelter Questions?

caster

I am looking at buying a new flip over portable with a deep sled base and tow bar for pulling around with a snowmobile. I have checked out the Clam, Eskimo, and Frabill units. My question is how durable are the tow bars and sleds for each of these (or which ones are better suited for moving around a lot)? I am looking for a two or three man size and plan to load it up with the auger and fishing gear. Thanks for the advise.

I've had an Otter Lodge for 4 years and pull it with both a wheeler and snowmobile. I've never had a problem with the durability of the sled, hitch or towbar. The only problem I had is that the pins furnished by Otter that connect the towbar to the sled have come dislodged and I've lost two of them. I think that Otter has now redesigned them.

------------------
If your are lucky enough to go fishing; you are lucky enough.

I have the Eskimo Grand Caravan,it's great tows nice behind the wheeler plenty of room. What ever you get, buy the hi-fax runners{ I think that's what they are called} they're well worth the money. They help it track better when pulling and will save the bottom of your sled when you have to cross pavement or dirt roads. Good luck

I currently have an Otter sled with a towbar for behind my snowmobile. The towbar is very well built and durable, along with the sled & house too. Hook it up to the sled, pull the travel cover over the house and you'll never have to look back. High quality product.

I think the critical piece will be the hitch (whether its on a sled or ATV) which you attach everything too. Most ATVs have good hitches but some aftermarket ones for snowmobiles look questionable.

I have a Polar Sport 4 man with hyfax and it pulls great.

I flew for many miles on Lake of the Woods with a heavy load and it took it no problem. I was cranking about 50 or so for a large part of the trip.

------------------
The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!

I.B.O.T. # 144
Boundry Waters Chapter

Ice Fishing show is Dec. 3-5 at the Rivercentre. Pretty much every manufacturer will have every model of house out on display. Definitely a good place to do some comparisons and you can also chat with their reps too.

I think one question you need to ask yourself is how far you plan on pulling your house behind the snowmobile and how often too. Not all tubs/sleds are built alike. Some are built to be light and easier to pull around by hand, some are built to withstand pulling a load of firewood.

And as mentioned earlier, whatever type you choose, put the hyfax on the bottom of the sled.

[This message has been edited by hanson (edited 10-15-2004).]

Thanks Hanson. I agree with you about the sled. I am looking for a heavy duty sled for long distance pulling behind the snowmobile. I wanted to get others opinions about their sleds so I know what to look for.

FOr pulling behind a snowmobile/ATV I think the Otter is the best one.I looked at several last year and the Otter looked like it could handle a bit more abuse than some of the others.The sleds are a little thicker and are designed to be towed.It did get abused last season and took it like a champ.I would also think about getting the cover.That way you don't bury all your gear in the snow that your sled kicks up. smile.gif

I have an Otter and have no expierience (sp) w/others but the ones I have seen are not in comparison. The sled is much thicker than others which is important when pulling behind as a sled. Mine is four yrs old and have pulled it behind snowmachine over 50 miles somedays at a good rate of speed running traps and is still in good shape. It depends on how much you use it.

------------------
Goosin now but Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

The Otter line is excellent, but pricey.
Sold a very trusty Otter Magnum. They do hold value nicely if kept in good condition. If you're going to pull behind a sled, the Otter's are a great/reliable choice.
With that being said, my only complaint was the weight (how about designing a Kevlar sled $$$$$$$$??), but that goes for many midsize/larger 'flip-overs.' It wasn't a lot of fun to pull out during early ice. I will be downsizing this year to a new small and lighter 2 man. Easier to heat as well.
My goal every year is to shed unnecessary weight. Either equipment or light/warm quality clothing.
I like the idea of carrying equipment/snacks/bevs in a small backpack of some sort. That will also be on my list this year.
Not to get to far off the subject...
Question - What's the best way to transfer minners out on the lake in a sled? I had been putting them in a plastic bag (w/binder) and opening up at the hole. Anyone have experience with a particular minnow "bucket" that can take a beatin' and still stay sealed?

I want to start by saying I'm not knocking any brand, but I've compared Clam, Frabill, Nordic, Polar, Eskimo, and Otter flip over sleds and if you look at their size and weight to their price, nothing compares to the Otter line. The comment that an Eskimo Grand Caravan is cheaper than Otter, (maybe on sale) but the cheapest I've seen them is $500 and even Otters biggest house isnt that much. Again I'm not cutting any other brand down,but from what I've seen the Otter line is pound for pound an dollar for dollar the way to go.

Made a trip to Cabela's this weekend to check out their stuff. As far as flip over units, they have Clam, Eskimo, and Otter setup on the floor. I really like the idea of the bench in the Eskimo line. One thing I noticed was the sleds for Clam and Eskimo didn't have one end really sloped like the Otter. The sales people really didn't offer any good answers to this question. I would think that would be important for deep, soft snow. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.