• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Da Rut

Last year the rut was late, especially in SE MN, what about this year? I am hunting 3B this weekend in 349. What have people noticed, is the rut late again this year? The reason I ask is I am wondering if I should take down some antlers for rattling? One of my spots has some brush piles in a mowed area near some CRP/native grass area. There is a lot of bluffs and heavily wooded area nearby, would rattling be a good idea or am I too late?

Picks, the rut was going strong last week during 3A. Alot of people had trouble seeing deer because the weather was a bit lousy. Also, I want to say about half the crops were in and are currently getting harvested just about around the clock right now. I know the bucks are tending to those last remainind does but don't appear to be doing all the chasing that they were a week ago. That said, they will still be searching for those last ones so rattling might not be a bad idea. I might try it if its slow, or if I get a doe or two right away that morning. It won't hurt bringing them down. With all the crops that were in a week ago, and are getting taken out now, I'm looking forward to a good 3B.

Hopefully, if there were corn fields around that farm, they got picked and maybe some more deer moved in. A lot of corn is getting picked in this area right now, but I don't know about yours. Are you going to Houston County?

Not terribly familiar with that area. I know where Mabel and Canton are, but thats about it. I'd have to look on the map to find it. I really think, unless the weather gets crappy, that it could be good for us. It seemed like there were a ton of hunters in the woods opening weekend and then it was quiet. Lots of weekend warriors in this area, of course, whitewater is a large chunk of stateland that gets hit pretty hard.

I am from Spring Grove. Graduated in "90. Are you married to a Glasrud? I know exactly where you are hunting at! Heard the hunting wasn't that good during the first season. My assistant coach was Chad Angel. Maybe you are thinking of the wrong guy?

Nope I was thinking it had to be you Derek (that didn't sound right did it). Yep, heading to the Strawberry Farm saturday morning maybe, but I also picked up 70 acres next to supersaw. That place has to be lousy with deer.

I noticed you have made 5 posts, welcome to Fishing Minnesota

I hunted the last day of 3A in 344. Rattled all morning and through out the afternoon. Nothing! Just spooked all the does a way. Nothing came within 100 yards of my area, but did manage to see spook 1/2 a dozen does sleeping a 100+ yards from where i stand hunted that morning. Also grunted in a little 5 pointer that i decided not to shoot.

I would say the rut should be over by this weekend if it isn't over a ready.

Best chance to shoot a big boy i would say look for food plots and there resting area. They should be doing alot of R&R. GoodLuck!

Though its not the SE part of of Mn. I saw a massive 10 pointer (all of 180") off of 169 in Champlin running with his nose to the ground at high noon, and then later, I saw 160" 8 pointer south of Lakeville just before dark with 6 does & a small 6 pointer. I would say its at peak around the metro area, Good Luck

It's definately going strong right now. Watched an eight pointer chase a doe in a picked corn field today for about 10 minutes. Around and around they went. I had pulled my car over to the side of the road and eventually they ended up in the middle of the road at @ 10 yards from the car. Pretty neat stuff going on right now. This weekend in 3B should be fantastic.

I had two students come in this morning, one went to check his trail camera last night and had a buck run right in front of him chasing a doe, nose to the ground and everything. He was even on a motorcycle, he said it paid no attention to him at all. The rut is waning, but it is still going.