• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So close...

bmc

I've been taking my 10 year old daughter out rifle hunting and last night, she had her chance. We were in a ground blind on a 2-3 acre food plot. With day light fading, my hopes of her getting a shot were running out. At 4:50 I look out in front of us and on the opposite side of the plot, about 70 yds, is a small buck(spike or fork) on a mission. His head is up and he's cruising, lookin' for love. I nudge Amanda, who had nodded off and tell her she needs to get ready to shoot. We get her .243 on the shooting sticks and when she says she can see the buck, I let out a loud grunt. He stops in his tracks and is looking at us. Amanda takes her time and BOOM! The buck turns and bounds away tail up, looking no worse for the wear. I ask her how the shot felt and she says, "Good, I saw fire come out of the barrel." She goes on to say, "I was cold before I shot, but now I'm warm!" LOL We waited 10 minutes and snuck over to take a look. No sign of a hit whatsoever. My dad and I went out again this morning, just in case and looked for about an hour with no sign of a hit. We were bummed, my dad and I more than her, but that's the way it goes.

I was able to get her out 7 times and she passed up 5 deer because they were fawns or a doe w/ a fawn. I told her it was totally up to her what she wanted to shoot. She was a real trooper, sticking with it no matter if we were seeing deer or not. I'm really happy that the DNR finally realized we need to get kids out hunting at an earlier age, because we loose alot by the time they're 12. I hope alot of other people took advantage of the new law and got their 10 and 11 year old's out.

Brian

Congrats on getting her out and the bonus of seeing some deer.

"I hope alot of other people took advantage of the new law and got their 10 and 11 year old's out. "

I wonder how many people didnt even know about the new rule. Already talked to a guy that had no idea about it. DOH!

bmc,Great story! My 10 yr old boy has passed on a couple of does so far, he's holding out for antlers. I really know what you mean by you lose alot of time by 12! My little girl didn't get to hunt until 13 and it was along wait... now a senior she has too many other things going on to hunt this year, like winning a state volleyball championship and working in a play. Although she still loves to hunt whitetail, she will have to wait another year. Good luck I hope you two get one!

Thanks guys.

The sad part is that was our last night to hunt as she lives w/ her mom in Duluth and I'm working next weekend. I'm seriously considering her trying the muzzle loader season. Our food plot has turnips in it and the deer are just starting to get after them and the blind is still up. It might be an option if I can get her out to practice with it before hand.

Brian

Good luck Brian, Amanda has a fine teacher / father. She'll get her chance.

Don't take her Muzzy hunting because you want her too...make sure she wants too. It's gonna be cold! It's a lot to ask of a young girl, but if she's up to it, good luck!

Awesome story! I am glad you got her out. I have to say that I was not real in favor of the new age law that the dnr put forth. I can see now that it can work out well. I am glad I read your story because until now I was totally against kids hunting without firearms safety.

When I first brought my son out 3 years ago he was 11 and could not shoot a deer. I had him in the same tree with me in a portable that I hung right next to my ladder stand. All I hoped for was that a deer would come in and he would get to see me harvest it. A ok sized 8pt came in and I made a out of my *** shot at it thru the brush. He thought that it was the coolest thing that he had ever seen. It would have been a easy shot at 10yds if he would not have been asking all sorts of questions when it can sneaking up to me I might add...lol. But I think that is why it is so memorable to me. We were actually enjoying our time out in the woods and enjoying time with family. You never know how long the kids now a days will stay in tune with something. I hope he will hunt for the rest of my life and his....A great family tradition! Thanks for your post!

Thanks for the compliment Don! I'll just ask her if she wants to go and let her decide, like all the other hunting we've done. I'm suprised by her "stick to it ness" during rifle season.

As far as the cold goes, toe warmers in her boots are a BIG help! As are the Mega Hand warmers that I stick in her sweatshirt pocket. Throw a Mr. Heater in the blind and we should be pretty cozy.

Congrats on your fall turkey too!

Brian

I wish my two could have hunted as 10 year olds. Both were ready. Now at 15 they have had 4 years of hunting and my son for the first time this season sat in his stand alone and harvested both a doe on opening Saturday and a nice 8 pointer on Sunday.

As 10 year olds I brought them up for the second weekend and I shot a doe crossing the field. Went into the woods after it alone (left them in the straw bales) on express orders from my wife that they not be involved in the "dirty" work. Ended up having to shoot that doe as she tried to stand back up in the woods and that is where the "fun" started. Daughter decided that I had now been shot by another hunter and used my cell phone to call their mom. Thank goodness they/she got voicemail and left that as a message versus in person. Once I miraculously survived and exited the woods and got the whole story a quick call home and before the message was listened to saved a whole bunch of pain at home!

To this day, my daughter hunts in my stand (pretty much means I don't shoot much) and absolutely hates it if I try to leave her alone in the stand. I respect it and I have a great hunting partner who basically shoots all of my deer! Would have loved to have had them both shooting as 10 year olds but at least mine were both so motivated that as 12 year olds they were super ready.