• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you could afford a stainless steel barrel then go for it. They are worth the extra cash. I'd prefer synthectic stock myself, less hassle and worrying about getting them looking nice. From what I hear the Boss's are super loud!

THe Boss works a advertized. My brother has 3 rifles with them. However do not shoot one without ear protection even while hunting. All muzzle brakes create a louder muzzle blast. It seems to be at least double the volume IMHO.

Mwal

Loud is an understatement, they are dangerously loud and cannot be shot without hearing protection. One guy I hunt with in Wisc. used to use one and you could be on the other side of a bluff and know when he shot. It was louder than the guy closest to you shooting...

if recoil is an issue when buying a gun, get a .243. i always thought it was kinda silly to throw a muzzle break on the end of a gun barrel. i'll take a black and blue shoulder over my ears ringing any day!

what, did somebody say something?

also, synthetic, stainless, and semi auto come in few models. one i know being a remington 7400. jam-o-matic. been a real problem gun for my fiance' we upgraded her to a sako finnlite 270 shortmag. very light, so it kicks a bit more than my 7mm rem mag. VERY nice gun though!

If you would consider a bolt action, there are far more options available to you. Depending on what you are hunting for, my personal opinion is that a bolt action is the only way to go...

Anyway, in a bolt, you could look at a Ruger M77, Remington 700, Tikka T3, and a host of others. You could also consider a laminate stock instead of syntheti...

I would also stay away from a BOSS system. The only people who could reasonably need one of this are safari hunters. Besides, you could always buy reduced recoil ammo, put a BOSS on after purchase if absolutely necessary, or just buy a smaller caliber (.270 would be a great choice, as would 7MM-08, or .243 as suggested).

Look at Browning BAR. Not sure about the stainless and synthetic part. Had one of those Rem Jam O Matics. Got rid of it fast.

I had a 7400 but was lucky enough to win a Browning Bar 30.06 at a MDHA banquet.

I sold the 74001 !

The bar for what ever reason has very little kick and is very,very accurate.

If I had to go back to an auto, I would go Browning BAR and nothing but. It is heavy, but that takes out some of the kick. It as pretty darn accurate too. But I don't have any plans of ditching my bolt action. I love it. Remington model 700 with X-Mark adjustable trigger.

I have a BAR in 30-06 with the boss and it is loud but shoots like a 243, but hit's like an '06. Hearing protection should be worn whenever shooting rifles whether they have a muzzlebreak or not. I have shot mine without a couple of times but was wearing a stocking cap and didn't notice a big difference than my 270 without a break. I have a 7mm STW with a muzzlebreak also, if you are more comfortable with the recoil it will make you a better shot, with hearing protection on, I see no downside. Also, you cannot use Managed recoil ammo in an auto, they will not consistantly eject.

Mike

I have had my Rem 7400 30-06 for 19 years and had one shell that didn't completely eject. Never another jam ever. Its hunted in three states taken countless deer and a bull elk. I don't know why you guys claim they are so bad...

I have had my Rem 7400 30-06 for 19 years and had one shell that didn't completely eject. Never another jam ever. Its hunted in three states taken countless deer and a bull elk. I don't know why you guys claim they are so bad...

Our hunting party had 6 7400's. Out of all 6 only mine had problems. And I had problems with it since day 1. I dealt with it for 12 years and it finally cost me a nice deer. I am happy you have a good one. I am happy the other 5 people I know shooting them have no problems, but for me I'll never buy or use one or recommend one again. I did take many deer with it, but it also cost me a nice one. It's one of those guns that some people (like me for example) just have problems with. The gun was well cared for, probably better than at least half the other guns in our party. Just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

As far as automatic rifles go their are really only four options.

Remington 750 woodmaster- a new version of the 7400

Browning BAR

Benelli R-1

Winchester- don't remember the name of it.

My dad was in the market for a new rifle after shooting a 7400 for 20 years. He never had problems with it. Niether my dad or me though that the BAR or Winchester fit us well. The R-1 is about twice the price of a 750, but my dad was considering it. We talked with a guy at Reed's and he said every R-1 he has sold has got brought back to him with problems, so my dad went with a 750 woodmaster with a synthetic stock. I don't know if their are any that you can buy with a stainless barrel.

OK 30-06 shooters. got a question for ya all. i have an 06. i like to shoot the 220 grain because i dont seem to have to trial deer far, and by the way the furthest i tracked a bear is 50 yards. so are they not making them anymore becuase they are hard to find. at least places like fleet farm etc.

Why would you want a auto???

Trust me (as a 7400 owner for 15 yrs.) I would NEVER buy a auto deer rifle again! I see the guys at the range with bolts. They can do <1" groups at 100 yards. I can do a pop can group on my best day. The tightness of the forearm screw matters on my point of impact too!!! That being said It has never failed to kill every deer I shot.

You should be practicing for a 1 shot 1 kill mentality. Not well if I miss I got 4 more to back it up!!! Who wants to be flinging 30-06 rounds all over the place?

I was young and dumb when I bought this and now I don't want to shell out $700+ for a nice bolt and scope. If I ever went out west I would not bring this auto! For MN and <100 yard shots no problem so far.

It just gives you more options for long open field or mountain shots with a bolt. You could still take the shorter deer/bear shots.

FYI deer hunting buddy changed to 7MM Mag and has not had to track anything since! At least on the 3 deer he has shot so far. It makes a pop can entrance and exit wound with Federal Premiums. Quite impressive to say the least.

Ferny.

I owned a Rem Model 742 semi auto in .30-06 for 40 years & shot numerous deer, moose and bear with it. The jamming issues have finally got to me and she killed her last buck for me 2 weeks ago (jammed after 2 shots as usual). I have bought a BAR in 7mm/08 Rem.I have never hunted big game witout my .06 & I love that shell but I couldn't turn down the mint used BAR.I have had it with Remington semi-autos although 4 other guys in camp have not had issues but I think they are ticking bombs. Any thoughts on the 7MM-08 Rem shell ?

Sounds like several people use this gun here's a good TIP:

Remington 742/7400 jamming issue. Time for a complete tear-down and good cleaning. Remove the forearm stock and scrape all the carbon off of the gas port. I use a bunch of foaming bore cleaner and let it soak. Take a pipe cleaner and ream it out.

Look at the mating surface that pushes the bolt back and scrape off all the carbon. Mine has NEVER jammed on me...yet smile

Sorry this doesn't relate to your question, just trying to help.

Ferny.

OK 30-06 shooters. got a question for ya all. i have an 06. i like to shoot the 220 grain because i dont seem to have to trial deer far, and by the way the furthest i tracked a bear is 50 yards. so are they not making them anymore becuase they are hard to find. at least places like fleet farm etc.

180's will still tip them over quite well.

I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard 30.06 with 180 grain ammo. I have shot 4 deer with it, 3 dropped in their tracks, one was never found. Even though there was lots of blood, it still made off. If you make a good shot, it shouldn't go far, no matter what the grain ammo. In fact, after seeing the meat destroyed on several of those deer, next year I am considering going to some ammo with a little less power (150-160).

Faster, I'm with ya 100% on goin to a lighter bullet weight with the .06. I shoot handloaded 150 grain Sierra boatails and have taken several deer in the 300+ yard range. I would drop down to a 130 but, I've never been able to get them to MOA. I see what damage those big bullets do to carcasses. But, on the other hand, it's less work for me after I trim away several pounds of hydrostatic shooked meat. Those Vanguards are nice shooting guns. I've got a '83 model Smith & Wesson 1500 which is the same action.

"OK 30-06 shooters. got a question for ya all. i have an 06. i like to shoot the 220 grain because i don't seem to have to trial deer far, and by the way the furthest i tracked a bear is 50 yards. so are they not making them anymore because they are hard to find. at least places like fleet farm etc."

I do now Gander mountain caries the 220 you are looking for.

I agree with other posters above - the best way to reduce recoil is change ammuntion, not guns.

If you shoot 220s great, I have in the past, just be ready for a wallop. I noticed a difference when I started 180s and a friend said when you go to a 150 it feels (almost) like a 22.

Just another opinion.

DD