• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mallard Comparison

Here are a couple I took today. Let me know what you think of images A and B, the crops and please let me know which one you like best and why. These are the same bird taken moments apart. Also, let me know if you feel these are over saturated. Thanks for your input--Yak

Image A

malldrake1.jpg

Image B

malldrake2.jpg

One extra one for fun.

malltrio.jpg

I like the second as well. The first is a bit soft, looks like the focus is on the back and with the shallow DOF the beak and eyes are just a bit soft.

The head turn and the water dripping off the bill and just a bit more canvas room make the second work for me.

I have looked at this post three times now, and I would have to agree with the others. I think the angle of the head is a little better in the second one, and is a sharper. Both my flat screen monitor and my laptop screen show a good color tone that is not too saturated.

I like the bonus shot as well. Typical of the females to shy away from the camera. smile

I meant to put this in my initial post but forgot.

You may want to try warming them up a bit by going into levels and dropping the blue channel a bit, or if they were shot RAW by warming up the color temp on the RAW preview screen.

They look a bit cool on my monitor, but that could simply be a slight difference in monitors. Anyway, if you take a minute to compare warmer and cooler, you might find that you prefer it a little warmer. Or maybe not. smile

I have to vote for photo B also, I think that A looks a little confusing between the bill and the water. Photo A has a better angle in my opinion that clears this up.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks for the input all. Here is what the camera shot, and one that is not as cool as the one that I posted at 4800 degrees. Let me know what you think of these. Thanks.

as shot at 6050 degrees

mall6050_edited-1.jpg

adjusted to 5400 degrees

Mall5400.jpg

I like "B" best, I think with living things, they need room in the photo tp move. "A" seems he is too cramped, nowhere to swim, at least that is my impression. Also, I like the warmer tones in your latest editions.

Very nice Yak. If I had to choose I would also choose #2 with the warmer tones. I think I would like it cropped horizontally but not as tight as #2, just because of the horizontal lines created by the ripples.

Thanks for the input guys. These were shot on an overcast day with pretty thick clouds as the light was fading. I cooled them off a bit I guess because that is how I remembered the afternoon. The gray clouds reflecting off the water and the cool breeze that was blowing. I didn't want the picture to feel to warm and inviting. I definitely appreciate all of your thoughts and suggestions, on anything I post here, it is how I will grow as an artist.

I cooled them off a bit I guess because that is how I remembered the afternoon. The gray clouds reflecting off the water and the cool breeze that was blowing. I didn't want the picture to feel to warm and inviting.

And that's really the most important thing. Any of us can critique an image and say what we'd like to see, but it's the intent of the photographer/artist that is the final authority.

And that's really the most important thing. Any of us can critique an image and say what we'd like to see, but it's the intent of the photographer/artist that is the final authority.

Exactly, everything is just the suggestion from another artist and how they see it or would do it. I definitely like that kind of input. It gives me the perspective I need to grow, especially from those who have more experience and expertise.