• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Fishouse Recipe

MinnesotaMuskie

We all focus on gear...now what is really important. What is your favorite meal when on hard water?

1. Grilled venison.
2. Ramen Noodles.
3. Chili(with myslef and 2 or 3
boys...there is a price to pay with
this one)

See my problem...I am not very inventive...any ideas woudl be be greatly appreicated.

------------------
Practice CPR...Catch, Photo, Realease. Unless you pickle a small northern of course.

Well, I'm going to figure out what my favorite hot meal is in the fish house this year. Up until this year, it is almost a tie between fresh vension beer sticks and egg salad sandwiches. The egg salad can create a few problems with a couple guys in one house though. grin.gif

When I was a kid I loved to eat onion and ketchup sandwiches on hard water. Maybe because they warmed me and the cold air was available to prevent overheating. I haven't been fishing that much as an adult but look forward to eating fresh perch, fried to perfection along with some french fries, cooked next to hole. Mmmmmmm, why do these threads keep coming up and making me hungry?
Maybe hanson has a good suggestion: list favorite cold and hot foods.

Kevin

this may not apply to everyone. I have a small oven range from an old winnebago that in the house. It is the best thing EVER!!

We can cook pizzas, bake chicken, pretty much anything you can think of, yes cake and brownies too!! grin.gif

my answer is CABBAGE ROLLS!
with some flat bread and garlic paste with a pickled banana pepper YUM

Boiled venison country sausage always goes good. Beef sticks for snacking on and hungry man dinners in the oven for the main meal. The wife usually keeps a teapot full of hot water so we can have hot chocalote or cup of noodles.

Ron

I like Deer jerky and any beverage that has sat on the ice for an hour and hasn't quite frozen. A cigar usually fits in there too.
A buddy went to school in Emmetsburg, IA and delivered pizzas for Pizza Hut. once winter came areound he would get quite a few calls for pizza delivery on the ice. They would tell him which part of the lake and the color or brand of the ice house and he'd drive the little GEO Metro right out to the house. If he got stuck the guys on the ice were good about giving him a push. The lake is real small in comparison to some of the big ponds up there though.

We like to filet whatever we catch in the shack. Fry up in butter with salt and pepper.MM MM good. One other thing though, I noticed that whatever we cook out there, taste so much better than if we cooked it at home.Any body else notice that?

up on red you can call the westwind and order burger baskets for pick up.......and then ther always the brat and beer on the ice.....

the national heart association is not affiliated with, and does not endorse this thread!!

When I was a kid my Dad would take me out spearing and we'd bring cheese and bologna sandwiches wrapped in tin foil. Dad would throw them on top of heater to toast the bread and melt the cheese...Mmmmmm mmmm!! Just goes to show that everything tastes better when on the ice. However, NOTHING beats venison brats boiled in beer. The boiling beer makes the fish house smell real good, too. Homemade venison chili comes in a very close second. smile.gif

Man everything sounds great...

I have several points;
1. Onions & Ketchup---gotta try that one
2. Can you eat your fish on the ice...I have heard different opinions.
3. What is Pork Chop in a Can?
4. We were on LOW and I convinced my Wsconsin buddies to try poached pout in butter...oh yes...they were converts.
The popcorn in bacon grease...interesting.

Anyone of you guys can share my house this winter.

------------------
Practice CPR...Catch, Photo, Realease. Unless you pickle a small northern of course.

Pork Chop in a can would be a liquid meal usually consisting of hops and barley, and generally sold in lots of 6,12,18,or 24.

Depending on ones age and relative experience one can survive off of this alone for weeks (college students), days (shortly after college), or hours (at this point in my life).

Practice makes perfect.
arbuck

I don't know about everybody else, but anything that you cook on the ice tastes good. If we're moving around a lot and traveling light, we take a metal coffee can full of charcoal(matchlight) punch some holes in the bottom of the can and some tin foil. With this you can cook just about anything. Just wrap it up in the foil throw it on the top of the coffee can. We've cooked just about anything you can make with venison(brats, ring bologna, and even heated up snack sticks, heating them really brings out the flavor).We've even cooked pork chops. You even have a place to warm your hands.