• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many $$$$ worth of Ice fishing tackel is in your Ice box?

Agronomist_at_IA

Like Deitz said, I don't want to know. I would cry to add up the total dollars invested. But hey, I can't spend it when I am dead can I? Live life for what you love! My oldest daughter and I love to ice fish so, that is what we do.

Just a rough guess, I bet I've got over $500 in Jigging Spoons alone.

Add to that swimbaits (Jigging Raps, Nils, Chubby's),

bucktails, airplanes, and then the panfish tackle and plastics. Easily over $1,000 but more than likely more.

Its not pretty but much less than the money I have into my walleye cranks.

I am around $100. A few Halis, some Pimples, the Hali droppers. Some plain hooks, split shot, and maybe 25 Fiska jigs. I lose about 10 jigs a yr and buy about 10 a yr. I left a tackle box with a fortune in jigging Raps and chubby darters sitting on the ice a few yrs ago, now I dont get carried away. Too many pike come to those jigging lures anyway.

Less than $100 for sure, I dont have a bunch of stuff, but I have everything I need. Ice fishing is much cheaper than open water. I fish pike and pannies, for pikes its hooks, sinkers, and leaders, probably $15 total. For pannies, a variety of jigs, slip bobbers and stops, and sinkers, doesnt add up to more than $50. Other than that, a clippers and forcepts is about all thats needed.

I'm not sure how much money I have in tackle, but if someone can figure out the amount of times I've been to Fleet Farm, Cabelas, Gander, or a bait shop in the last 10 years during the hardwater season I think I average about $10 a trip (with a ten dollar bump if the visit was within three days of an overnight fishing trip).

Some of you are missing the real beauty of fishing tackle. Plausible deniability. I can't really look my wife in the face and tell her that I don't know how much my Beretta over and under costs, but with fishing tackle who keeps track?

I almost had a little trouble last year. I broke rule number one and laid out all my ice tackle in one place to get it organized for the upcoming season. Through sheer bad luck my wife ventured down into the man cave at just the wrong time and saw it all neatly laid out by intended species and color. You could see the flicker of recognition in her eye's and the faint sound of a 1940's era cash register emanating from her brain. Then she casually asked, "How much do each one of these lures cost?". I went into panic mode and half yelled, "I don't know, I've had most of them so long it's tough to say". I knew she wasn't satisified and that I was on the precipice of disaster so then I blurted out, "I think I left the dogs outside" and I quickly bounded up the stairs jumped in the truck and headed for fleet farm. I had to buy few ratsos, shrimpos and Nil's spoon with a chained trailer hook just to calm my nerves down.

smile

Hub, that is a funny story ... hope you learned your lesson. eek

I know their are many avid women anglers on this site. I wonder how many have had the tables turned on your situation - the husband busting the wife with the "rediculous" amount of fishing gear laid out whistle

I don't think I will ever have that problem with my wife. Now if it were shoes and clothing, that would be a totally different story wink

The way I see it, it's all about priorities. I know many people that will go out every weekend and drop at least $50 on drinking at a bar a night, or go out to eat a couple times a week and lay down $20. For me, I see that as money for hunting or fishing, and that amount will go a long way in buying ice jigs. I enjoy ice fishing and the equipment that goes with it and don't have a problem spending $10-20 here and there throughout the year. Besides, what else is there to do during the winter?

As far as the topic goes, I'm just getting into ice fishing seriously, and I'm making purchases slowly leading up to first ice. Still have a couple rods and reels to get, and probably $50 worth of jigs/spoons that I want to try out. I'm spending a lot more this year since there are a lot of things I still need to acquire. From here on out I doubt I'll spend much over $50 a year on tackle.

I've got a bad ice tackle addiction too. All the tiny shapes and pretty colors are too much for me to resist. I've got multiples of everything, spoons and jigs that in all likelihood have no chance of getting wet anytime soon.

I catch 90% of my fish throughout the ice season on the same $50 in tackle. Having a hoard of tackle really doesn't matter most of the time.

I don't have too much inversted into my tackle as of yet. I buy a few good looking "gimick" jigs and such and troll [YouNeedAuthorization] for cheapy ones as well. My lure and spoon collection definately needs some work. i have been trying to restrain myself from a NL forage minnow? chubby darter binge smile