• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

good fish house tv

7outof10

because of the changing to digital i am using that as a reason to get a new tv i want a flat screen something like 13-15 inches or so i want it to be a DC powered so i don't have to run the inverter when i don't have to and something with a dvd player i think would be nice any one have any experience with something like this in there ice house i am wondering how it would hold up to the cold / heat and ever thing that comes with being in a ice house i dont know much about tvs so any help would be nice

I got a 15 in flat screen tv/dvd at the Loves truck stop in albert lea for 269.00 a couple weeks ago...ac/dc is hard to find, Im using it in my motorhome and it works great....havent had any issues with the warm and cold temp changes as of yet. Its getting close to time to put the camper away...one more trip next weekend....

Don't go with Plasma of any kind. It will freeze and crack. LCD is the other type and is not affected by tempature. Not -40 or +120, but Motorhome manufactures are using the LCD ones with no problems. The 15" flat screen seems to be the ticket, but if you are fishing in a area where you were recieving a transponder, like at Lake of the Woods, or other place where you get the regular channels on UHF, then you will not need to change. All of the UHF transponders will remain on analog. Save the money and buy BAIT... LOL.. Kaz

I would not go as far as to say a person won't have any problems I have a 32 inch in my house and make sure to take it when I leave the fish house. Any time hot goes to cold or cold goes to hot you are going to get condensation I do believe I don't know how many TV's I have sorted out this way. But a lot.

you know i never thought about condensation i had a tv last year that i used in my ice house and one morning it just stoped working and then i took it home for a cupple days and then it worked i never thought about condensation ......i do not have a vented heater so i get a lot of it ...sometimes my door handle will freeze

Lands: I'd get a 15" or 17" one. Smaller are hard to find and to hard to see anyway. Bigger, unless it is anchored well to a wall may be to heavey. 15/17 inchers work well on a swivel mount , so you can move from hole to hole and still watch FOOTBALL, !!!!! Kaz

and what is ever one elss doing about the digital change most older tvs will not work after feb

Your right, in the fish house these will not work, all Anolog broadcasts are stopping in feb by the FCC. If you have Cable or Satellite you have nothing to worry about, if you dont well then you have to buy a digital converter box or have a QAM tunner built in to the TV.

I work with your local cable company and dealing with alot of QAM tv tuners, they put alot of channels on some funky stations. IE 4.1 4.2 4.3 ect ect and then if you have it hooked up to cable you will get channels in the 50's doing the same thing. Usualy the 4.1 is the standard station and the .2 and .3 are the HD versions of that channel.

If you search on the net you can find a coupon/visa gift card for the converter boxes that are I believe 30 bucks and that way you only end up paying 18 bucks or so for the converter, you can get two of these said coupons.

As far as the tv. I woudlnt leave it in the house, I know that alot of Automotive companys are using them as the flip down DVD players, but remember its just the screen and the DVD player is somewhere else in the car, Also Remember that LCD is LIQUID Crystal Display. I have read people talking about wiping the condensation off the tv, you cant get into the tv to get it off the boards or power supply.

Last year Hovermn and myself were looking at tv's and DC tv's were MUCH more expensive than the AC tv's, with that being said, how are you planing on running the DC Tv, do you have several Deep cycles that youll be running. I would suggest you look into an inverter, they are not that expensive and will help protect your tv, along with inform you when the power load is too high/low. Walmart sells a few for around 30-40 dollars, I have a 250 watt inverter in my work truck that I use to power up my laptop, it has been running for 8 hours a day/4 days a week for the last year. I can leave it hooked up and on in the truck over the 3 day weekend and still be able to come back and start my truck come Sunday. The other nice thing I have noticed is that the newer inverters are shutting off if your not using any power on it, some of the older ones would still run the fan/heat up, thus draining your batteries.

If your insistant on running DC and you want a DVD player, your best bet would be looking for a truck stop and finding a DVD/TV combo, but be warned I have seen many VCR/TV and DVD/TV combo's in homes die, and either they just have a large VCR/DVD or just a funny looking tv.

AGAIN ill wrap this up with saying I would go with an AC tv and seperate DVD player, they make the DVD players small enough that it woudlnt be a problem, and with the money youd be saving from going from AC to DC i dont think you will have a problem. Also if i remember right the DVD/TV combos are more expensive too, and not just 100 bucks.

HOpe that helps more than it confuses you

ShawnnyB

Shawnny: What's your Info telling you about the UHF Transponders in the areas where the standard signals do not reach. I was told that low power transponders will remain anolog until a much later date, maybe stay as they are now.. Kaz

here is a ? dose a dc tv use more or less power then a ac tv ran with an inverter i have a 750 inverter i was just thinking that running a inverter to run a tv ....i was thinking taking one thing out of the line might save me some juice my tv that i use now will run for 5-7 houres on 1 battery so what is the better way to save juice is what im asking

Doing just a quick search on the switching tv's they use the same power, but if you add more things in line, such as the Inverter it will take more power to switch the power from 12-120volt, more wires more stuff. So it would be less power to keep the tv in 12volt situation, My question would be, will it hurt the tv if it doesnt get enought juice.

Shawnnyb