• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Greasing

anyfishaldo

Any,

Personally, I use Quantum Hot Sauce Oil to re-lubricate my ice fishing reels.

I take them apart, and clean out all the grease that is usually packed in them, add a little shot of this oil on all the moving parts, and am good to go.

For the winter, I try to stay away from grease. But, havent used the Sub-Zero stuff though, and it could have a thinner consistancy them most grease used for reels. A little goes a long ways though!!!

If it's that bad, I'll use the gun cleaning method. Lots of CLP and rags. Only one reel had I had to clean out old grease this way.

All the other ones, I just dry swab, oil swab wipe the old stuff out annually.

I use a little grease on the main gear and the pinion gear. I don't like the feel of gear metal on metal sound nor the noise from it.

As Slippery said, a little grease on the main and pinion gear will help with the noise and feel of metal on metal. I use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the grease off the reels if it is really bad. I generally dip a swab in Iso and go to town cleaning them up. I like the Quantum Hot Sauce on all the other parts besides those already mentioned.

A tip that will help you prep for winter is to take your reels and throw em in the deep freezer in the basement for a day. Take em out with gloves on and check to see if they are tough to reel or if they are still smooth. If you have a hard time turning the handle, it is time to clean and grease them bad boys. It is the best way to check before hand if your reels are ready to go.