• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice House Roofing?

FullTilt

What are people using for ice house roofing? I need to put a new roof on my house and I want to do it right, even if it costs more. The house does not have a peaked roof, it's slanted with only about 2" of drop over the 6.5' width. I was thinking about using pole barn roofing, anyone have any experieince with this?

I need enough to cover a 16'x6.5' house. Question about the rubber roofing, is it heavier than steel roofing? If it is heavier, should I have 3/4" plywood under the rubber roofing to prevent sagging? Does this stuff need to be applied during warmer weather to allow it bond together?

3/4" plywood for the roof!?!?!!?

Did you mean 3/8"???? I have heard of 1/4" and 3/8" recommended for use with rubber roofs on a fish house, but never 3/4" on a fish house.

I have steel roof on both of mine and the one I am currently building will have steel as well. Thats because the material was free. Otherwise I would have used rubber roof.

oh yeah, and the steel roofing that I use is the pole barn steel. I have a 3" slope peaked house. But the channels on the steel run front to back instead of top to bottom. (It was teh only way I knew to have less seams with a peaked roof)

If you do not have a peaked house, you should be fine. either way, I suggest some marine grade adhesive/silicone to around the roof nails or screws even though they have rubber washers on them. With that adhesive/silicone you should have no problems since you do have some slope to it.

on my fishhouse, and what alot of people i know did is use a rubber roof. you can get it in a roll at menards, costs about 80 dollars but works great. the glue they have at menards is really expensive but doesn't work very well, so if you could find a roofer around you and see what kind of glue he has it would work better. also it comes in black, so it melts all of the snow off the roof also.

Thanks for the input, I like the sounds of the one piece rubber roofing. I also might have to check the damaged goods area at Menards for some steel roofing. About the poly carbonate, did you attach this similar to a steel roof?

I just got a chuck of HDPV (i think) from a job big enough to do my 8x16. It's a little stiff but was guarenteed to with stand mother nature to keep sewage out of the river for 50 yrs. should work.

------------------
Goosin now but Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

STAY away from Menards! Go to Roof Depot, or A.H Bennet Company. You will find them in the phone book yellow pages. I work for a roofing company, might cost you $10 bucks more, but quality is so much better. Not to mention, if you go to Menards, you will spend a minimum of 1 hour. Look at a "torch down" option also. To much to explain here, but it melts onto your existing roof. grin.gif