• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frabill Tip Ups? Good to go?

Far-I

I just bought a couple of frabill tip ups. I'd like to target Lake Trout and some Pike. Do people change out the black line on the spool for anything less visible, or does this line funtion well? Is the standard large hook better, than say, a treble or something else? I'm new to tip-up fishing and could use any advice on the topic. Thanks!

PS - I'm really looking forward to the Lake Trout seminars/fishing on Burntside in January. Anyone going?

I leave the black braid on and tie a barrel swivel to it. Then I tie either fluorocarbon, or mono as my leader. My average leader is probably 6 feet or so long. Hooks all depend on the size of bait being used. For really large baits, a quick strike rig is nice.

Far,

Never had any problems with the standard dacron tip-up line. I like a coated variety though, ice up isnt as bad. I use this stuff, say, more so then regular mono because you can handle it better in the elements. So, like others, just use a leader that is barrel swiveled off the main dacron.

For pike, I strongly suggest looking at a knotable leader material, like Tyger. Something in the 30lb to 50lb range. Quick strike rig as well with this leader. I use #6 treble hooks most of the time, no need to go big during the winter. Helps camoflauge the hooks too, when they are pushed into your bait of choice.

Lake trout, give yourself an extra bit of leader material. Say 6 to 10 feet of a good fluorcarbon leader material. Vanish or the alike in 8 or 10lb test. # 6 hook to #4 treblehooks here too. But, I also carry smaller hooks, just in case I need to hide a hook better.

I use 30-40 lb berkley big game line as a leader for pike. I never use a leader. I find that so long as I take it easy on the hook set I don't get bit off. I fished side by side with a person who was using leaders last year and outfished him 2-1.

for lakers, I take about 12 feet of 12 lb flourocarbon leader, a single kahle hook and a slip sinker 3 feet above the rig.