• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "Original" Ice Map (Done for the year!)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got back from my Bemidji/Red Lake Trip. Went out of JR's campground on Red.. Ice has frozen very jagged and goofy makes it very hard pulling a portable out there.. We went out maybe 1-1.5 miles and had 7-8"s all the way out.. I have heard wheelers were going out 2 miles over the weekend. Bemidji area lakes are iffy.. We snuck out on 2.5-3"s on one lake but some other had 6". Bigger lakes are still wide open including Lake Bemidji which has skim ice on the NW corner but thats all. Lakes around Crosby/Brainerd are still freezing between .5" and 2.5" from what we found Gull is still wide open. Leech lake looked to be locking up very well in the bays and the North end but still open in the middle and wind blown shores. Fishing was slow, marked a lot of fish but only got 1 walleye on URL and a few pannies on small Bemidji Lakes.

I plan to get out in the metro. east central area tomorrow.

Ryan

It looked like Bald Eagle in Ramsey County was frozen completely on Tuesday. There was a bit of open water from the west shore to Cigar Island from the boat the guy that lives on the island uses. There was also about 20 Tundra swans from the rock point north but I couldn't tell if the water was still open there.

Lake Susan in Chanhassen- Ice was probably anout 2-2.5 inches of mediocre ice for much of the lake but in the middle you could tell it had just froze over so <1 inch of ice. The shore lines were starting to get pretty soft because the temp here in Chaska is 38 degrees. A small couple acre pond next to it had 4 inches of clear ice. Nobody had ventured out yet on the lake.

Fished all day today.. South Center was first.. Had a solid 5"s of ice around Pancake island and there were a few shacks near the opening to the main lake as well.. Didn't get any fish apparently they haven't moved in there yet. Then I hit the Chisago/Lindstrom Lake channel. 3" of ice there.. Got 2 pike and a bunch of 5-7" crappies at dark.. There was also a portable or two out on Little Green Lake but I didn't check ice there.

Good Luck,

Ryan

I went out with Polarsus and his roommate today, had a good time. First lake we stopped at had some clear ice about 4-5 inches but was making too much noise for my liking. Drove around a bit and found another small lake and sent Polar out scouting 5-7 inches of ice there made it much more comfortable. We caught 3 bass and a bunch of 2 to 3 inch sunnies but it kept us busy.

Got out on the Southern bays of Chisago today to find 4-5" of clear solid ice and plenty of other fisherman.. Caught a few small gills and one nice bass about 3lbs on a tipup.. I tried to venture out to the well known "A Frame" area but there was only about 2 inches and the ice was cracking a lot so i turned around. Should be able to get to that area in about 3 days if we get some really cold temps at night.. The warm weather didn't do anything to the ice yesterday or today out there mostly because the angle of the sun is so low I think..

Ryan

I read Crappieman's report on Red and was wondering if anybody else has been out recently? Also, wondering if other access's were more 'friendly' in terms of ice conditions. I may be up there next weekend or the one after that.

Thanks all for the great ice reports. What a great way to use this forum.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW FAST YOU HAVE TO DRIVE YOUR ATV TO STAY ABOVE 2 INCHES OF ICE???? TIRES ARE STUDDED AND IT WEIGHS ABOUT 600LBS WITH A 200 LB GUY OPERATING IT. LET ME KNOW THANKS

Somewhere around 90mph....or wait for 6" of ice.