• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "Original" Ice Map (Done for the year!)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in the Turtle Mountains of No. Central ND, Our lakes are smaller but provide lot's of excellant fishing, right now the ice is between 6 to 7" on Lake Metigoshe (early ice bring's good Blue gill fishing) and Long Lake. Located approx. 15 miles North of Bottineau,ND.(Pop 3500)and elevation of about 3400. The lake's are nestled among a forest of popular and pine and does draw out of state the hard core looking for 1st ice..Dave Genz has been here a few times. It is truly a well kept secret.

Good to hear guys! The ice will be building from tonight until Saturday! Tomorrow and Friday highs in the low 20's lows in the single digits! We should put on 2-3"s with that kinda cold!

Smaller shallow lakes still skimmed over today in the N Metro. I saw a picture from a guy that measured 1-1.5" in Alexandria so you are probably safe to shad that too!

Ryan

Marcell Area....

B.I.-Frozen, Both Smith Lakes-Frozen, Pughole-Frozen, North Star-Somewhat/mostly open, Small shallower lakes-Frozen. Deep lakes(caribou, Kremer, Johnson on 38)-Open. I threw a large rock(twice the size of a softball) off our fairly steep and high hill, onto the lake and the rock did not break through the ice. Also, 3-4 feet out from where my dock was, the ice was 2-3 inches.

Friendly Reminder. As these small out of the way lakes freeze up. Please remember to use public access's or public land to gain access and try to avoid trespassing. A knock on the door and friendly request can go a long way. Sneaking around on private property never ends well. Good luck and be safe!

Update: a friend called and wanted to go out so off we go to the bait shop then headed out. Got to the lake and couldn't get on. Overnight it had gotten about a quarter inch of snow on it and prevented it from getting enough ice to walk on, not quite 2 inches. That was on a bay (near Hayward WI) that had an inch Tuesday.

Lastnight I checked two lakes here in west cental MN. The shallow lake had 2.5" the deep lake had no ice at all. This morning Ive got 1 degree out there with no wind. That should make some ice, man I'm pumped for early ice.

I have not been out and about in the lake country.

Been tied up with stuff here in Moorhead, clearing the slate so I can get out fishing.

I know the Red River here in town is pretty much iced over and with the current that has it has always been an indicator to me that safe ice can possibly be found on the smaller lakes in Ottertail county.

5º here in town this am.... calm...

Lake Minnewaska in Glenwood looked pretty locked up this morning. I have not been on top of the hill to see if the center froze over or not, but in front of Peter's Sunset Beach Resort looking west it has a nice cap on it. There is no wind and the current temp is now 14 degrees. It should continue to make ice today.