• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable lighting

f1sh1nfool

I saw that clam has a rope led rope lighting that hooks up to a 12 volt batt.. like a vex or marcum. they say it will run for 12 hours on a vex style battery. it is five feet long and attaches to the support poles. anybody have any input on this? I am looking for a lighting solution.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-08-2004).]

I made a 12v light system out of an old extension cord and some in-line light bulb sockets. I use 12v RV bulbs, normally one is enough, but I have two sockets in-line and I just unscrew one of the bulbs. I think the cost was around $5 for the sockets but the bulbs aren't cheap, they do however put out alot of light.

Ole

You can run the light off any battery with the alligator clips or plug it into your car or ATV. I ran the light off a marine battery at the sportshows and it lasted for 36 hrs. It comes with a 50wt bulb that is more than you need in most cases. You could easily get by with a 25wt bulb for light if you are only using your vex battery. ( should easily get 8 or more hours) Gary

I took a cheap way for a light. I went to the auto parts store and bought a couple of tail light sockets and used some old extention cord wire. If you wanted to you could even put a switch inline.but i just put clips on mine and clip them right to the battery.

platinum lighting has some very nice ropelite products, with all kinds of gizmos, switches, dimmers and what nots. This is top quality stuff rated to well below zero unlike alot of ropelite product. I've seen it rigged in boats and shanties and it is way slick.

Regards....fiskyknut

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-14-2004).]

I see Otter is coming out with a fish house light available 11-1-2004 . It attaches by velcro to the poles. By the price I assume it is a LED light . I've e-mailed them a few days ago wanting more info on the light but have not gotten a reply yet , but this look's like the perfect light , small easy to mount and runs on small batteries , I've seen other LED lanterns on different web sites but it looks like this one is more for hanging above and pointing down . Judging by the way the LED's on the Princton Arura tech light work so good I think LED's would work the best.

USL/Clam does a have a rope light coming this fall. The best thing about them is you can cut them to whatever length you need.
I have Eskimo's QFIII from last year and they are a great product no doubt about it. Besides having some of the spring clips break last year(ardisam sent 10 replacements within 2 days and haven't had a problem with the new clips since),I am impressed with the way the QF handled in DL with 20 mph winds w/o spikes. I have to say though, USL/Clam did their homework in the offseason.
The great thing about Clam this year is their new houses that you can zip together, these rope lights, new sliding seats that have power auger friendly supports, specially designed table to fit between the two hooked-up portables, and the birth of the Yukon. The Yukon gives you the best of the Guide and Voyageur (weight/ability to stand up). I can see the Yukon phasing out one of the other two, possibly the Guide. To be able to hook a couple of these shelters together with a family of up to six or have your fishin' buddy "hook up to you" after finding a good "ice cube" to fish over is great. I have the new Clam catalogs out at our store and I'm looking forward to getting some ice soon.
This got a little off topic, but I cannot wait to talk ice fishing with others this upcoming season. I'll sit in -20 weather again this deer season with a huge smile if it means early ice.

I use the Xantrex 400Plus powerpac unit. It wlll operate a fluorescent light for up to 10 hours and can also plug into the cig lighter to recharge. It's about the size of a breadbox and weighs 23 lbs. I also have another unit that I scooped up at a Target on clearance for $15. It also is a powerpac but much smaller(about the size of a paperback) and lighter (7lbs.) It will go 7-8 hours at a pop. That one is made by Vector. I'm not sure if the latter is still on the market, but Sears has the Xantrex 400Plus.

I be interested to see how these LED rope lighting options work out this year. I'm hoping CLAM has them at the ICE EXPO to demo. Last year they had a huge spot set aside with all their products.

Right now I use an aurora headlight from Princetec and that works perfectly for a FishTrap Pro. BUT not so good for my 2-man Otter.

RICK- How does that light stay on your house, boat,etc. Does it have a clip?

I posted this before but the best light I've ever used is a light made by Coleman called a tent light. I have an Otter Lodge and the light lights up the entire inside. It mounts via a magnet where the magnet is on the outside of your cloth shelter and the light sticks to it on the inside so the portible fabric is sandwiched in between. You can put it anywhere you want, it costs around $12.00, and it runs on double A batteries. A set lasts me all winter. It folds right up in the folds of the shelter so no dismantling is needed. It also has an on and off switch for your convenience. A great light!

I have been hanging a small (light) battery operated lantern off the top of my portable. Good indirect lighting but limited in location. I would use a small head lamp for direct light. That magnet light from Coleman would give me better options. Wonder if it has variable lighting?

A remote?? Something else to drop down the hole!! grin.gif

Chew on this.....how about the small Coleman magnetic fan? Mount it on the shelter above my Buddy heater. As the heat rises it would keep the warm air circulating.

Augernaut,

I bought mine at Target in the camping section. I put mine right over head in my otter so it's handy to turn on when needed, i.e. taking an eye off the hook. Another idea is to have two of them mounted on either side of the portable.

Cheap light, no extra battery to haul around in your sled.

Yukon Don

Bearfish....

I've got the Coleman tent fan, got it for summer camping. The first time I used it this summer, I thought to myself "Dang, this would work great in my solo portable." In fact that's where it is right now, set up in the family room. That fan will see a lot of use this winter.