• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Topwater Bait

bonefish

I found this on YouTube, and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this lure. But first let me warn you that you'll want to turn the volume down to ignore the music and look past his safety skills of long sleeves near a lathe! Aside from learning how to paint, they make it look kind of easy if you've got the tools in your shop. Is it normal to be able to get that much walk the dog type action without putting any weight in it? I'm pretty sure the walk the dog type muskie baits I have use a weight that bounces around inside. Is this just for noise?

Weight may or may not be needed Depending on what type of wood/plastic is used. I myself would use some type of ballast toward the back of the bait for a nose up attitude. Ballast also makes the bait land "hooks down". Once you build your bait, try wrapping lead core solder or just lead around the hooks to see if you need weight or not. Once you know the correct ammount, drill and add this to the belly, seal and paint.For a muskie bait I would also use a "thru-wire" design, less chance for the tow and screw eyes to pull out.

honestly i think he skipped a couple steps. in fact i know he did wink for one those hook and ties didn't come with the wood. no wood sealer? pffft, bubbles galore without it. he's got a ballast in it. probably in dead center of bouyancy. whistle that's a nice way to make a home made bait though how he does it....

Quote:
What kind of wood is best making for topwaters??

i prefer western red cedar. although i seal my wood lures i can get by without it. as long as it's primed up for the paint. the other so called ''exotic'' cedars can't say that. also it's the most easy to find in these parts. home depots got some. plus it's bouyancy is superb and is very strong. it's like the Creater needed the best wood for making His own lures and came up with this. also hold screws really well if they are epoxied in. sands easy, drills easy, turns on a lathe easy smells nice and...did i mention tough? any softwood is ok but for me western red cedar has no equal when considering everthing all at once. oh, not exactly an exotic price either. not cheap but not expensive. hope this helps.