• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chubby Darters

Steve Eddicus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done some snooping for you guys and yes indeed Red Rock is the most likely place to find them Glow Red Chubbys at this time.

2427_image.gif2427_thumbnail_image.jpg #3 & #5

While your ordering from them, the Rainbow Dace #3 and #5 looks to be an interesting pattern to me too, and is also a Red Rock exclusive pattern Chubby.

Red Rock Store custom Chubbys

1761_image.jpgAs for the Glow Red, not many available yet, the new shipment is stuck in customs is the word I'm getting (a common deal it happens with lure shipments from Europe all the time ). There should be more available from the sources I listed before soon.

As far as the LBD's, what is made now is it. No more to be had after they are gone, so get them while they are available...don't say I didn't warn ya.

zamboni a couple tips on the Chubbys. If there is a split ring on the top ...loose it. On the #3 try a Rapala loop knot or a tiny fast snap..NO SWIVEL at the snap..swivels will mess up the weight of the lure and overburden it on the fall making it drag to the side. Keep it natural.

For a scent option, if needed, try a Little Atoms scented tail, or Gulp, or 1 fresh larva for crappie or panfish.

For walleye on Chubbys, of any size Chubby...I have a little secret there..find a Chap Stick style dispenser of Dr.Juice ($1.50), it is waxy like chap stick and stays on the lure without messing up the action. Smelly Jelly in the jar in walleye scent is another good one, as can be Gulp juice at times. I call it my Chubby Lube. grin

A try not to overburden a Chubby by making a Meat Puppet out of it with minnow heads hanging from either treble...it just mess's up the action. Repeat after me...Meat Puppets are bad...good.

If you wish minnow scent smash a minnow and rub it on the Chubby or use a tiny amount of meat, that works very well as it has blood scent and walleye like to hit wounded forage without mercy.

As far as jigging pasterns...get them to fallow it up..jig higher than you normally do..they will come. DO NOT drop it on there head if you see a fish come in bellow you.

Think about it...Not many minnows dive down to a hungry walleye and say..EAT ME you toothy critter you...do they? Annoyed walleyes often just say..."Get away from me kid..your bothering me"..and split.

Walleye act like a cat, if you tease them up and hold...they pounce. I have seen sumo eyes come up 20 feet or more and than decide to Whack a Chubby...but would not touch it near the bottom. When they get the prey fish out in the open..Game On..Miss Sumo Walleye feels she has the advantage over poor lost little minnow.

I find this is very typical behavior for big loaner sumo eyes. Schooling eyes whack it on sight so there buddy does not get it first. Aggressive Whacks often spells a school near.

Action and presentation is dictated by mood and location.

For you waterfowl hunters here is a comparison you may get a bit easier. You bark out a goose call to lure them in and than you often change the calls to more of a subtle call...jigging a Chubby is kinda like that most of the time. Than you Whack them and stack them.

Ed Thanks for your last post.The first thing that I would have done is to make a "meat puppet".I found a good selection of them at my local bait store and they will also order what you want.But I think I better pick some up now.Thanks all,I have never used these and I am looking forward to it.

As far as the LBD's, what is made now is it. No more to be had after they are gone, so get them while they are available...don't say I didn't warn ya.
I'm confused about this limited edition and store exclusive chubby darter thing. I know it's intended to get people to buy now, and it also seems like it's a tactic for Salmo to get retailers to buy now with the lure of exclusivity. I wish they would just get them out to all retailers and I would buy many more. It's frustrating as a consumer to have to spend ridiculous shipping costs for just a couple lures. I just think the whole process with Darters is strange. Sorry about the rant. I truly love to fish these lures but I’m getting turned off by the whole process. Your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Ed Carlson
I'm confused about this limited edition and store exclusive chubby darter thing. I know it's intended to get people to buy now, and it also seems like it's a tactic for Salmo to get retailers to buy now with the lure of exclusivity. I wish they would just get them out to all retailers and I would buy many more. It's frustrating as a consumer to have to spend ridiculous shipping costs for just a couple lures. I just think the whole process with Darters is strange. Sorry about the rant. I truly love to fish these lures but I’m getting turned off by the whole process. Your thoughts?

Salmo sells the Chubbys and other lures as fast as they can make and ship them, so they do not encourage exclusives...buyers/vendors do. This may be a thing of the past soon due to demand and supply.

Exclusives are sales prompters for the individual retailers to draw in some business, a tool of sales. The lures are not colors offered in the Salmo main line, but may be added in time for all retailers if the demand is there. A color exclusive pattern usually will run 2-3 years depending on the agreement made by the retailer who sponsored the pastern. The contracted sponsor buys them all..every one made, to retail...so it is a sure sale for the vendor. Risk and reward, that is the name of the retail game.

Everybody does it..Fleet Farm, Gander Mountain, Red Rock, Scheels, Cabela's..not only in Salmo but in Rapala, Eppinger, HT Tip-ups, spoons, boots...socks..gloves..ect.ect...you name it.

Many of these patterns would not be made if these agreements were not made..so when somebody really wanted a pattern to be made like I wanted the LBD to be ran...I spoke with Salmo and Gander and we got'r done.

If you do alot of buying online its no big deal.I have bought a few thousand items online.I just buy 4-5 lures at a time and it offsets the cost of shipping.

I agree that it does but I like the cost of no shipping grin. I actually like shopping at local stores. I guess it's my small part to support the local economy. Plus you might get a tip or two.

Everybody does it..Fleet Farm, Gander Mountain, Red Rock, Scheels, Cabela's..not only in Salmo but in Rapala, Eppinger, HT Tip-ups, spoons, boots...socks..gloves..ect.ect...you name it.

I hope this isn't the outdoor retailers version of the Walmart effect. I guess you get the lower prices with this but it's too bad the small town shops can't compete. I like the relationship side of the biz. Seems to be shrinking though.

Ed, do you recommend removing the split ring from all darters or just the #3's? I'd have to say the LBD does look good.

A simple cross lock snap, duolock snap, or fast snap on a #3 does the same thing as a split ring. I just eliminate one extra pivot point to achieve better wobble and darting action. A loop knot is good too, especially on 8# mono and up if that is your preference for line on larger Chubbys...not on #3's or #4's..but great on #5's and #6's. My personal preference is 4/15 Power Pro for bigger game jigging. 3/4 5#, 1/8# or 2/10# PP for panfish

If line twist is a problem than add a tiny..tiny swivel at a leader length that works best with your rod. Make the leader just long enough to stay straight and out of the end guide tip when the Chubby or snap is attached to the hold on the rod.

On larger Chubbys that are worked more aggressively for walleye and large game a leader is often a good plan. A soft fluorocarbon like Gama 10# Polar Ice or P-line works well and provides a shock absorber when used with superbraids. Or use the same line you used on the main line....personal preference on leader materials. Just not too stiff or heavy so it effects the action.

If you do not see the sexy Chubby wobble on the up sweap and fall, adjust your rigging. Simpler is better, and Don't Choke Your Chubby...by tying it on direct.

Yup..loose the split ring on top.

It was added to help keep folks from tying direct to the top eyelet. Even direct tying to the split ring limits action in my opinion.

A smaller snap with a wide loop will not hinder action and allows for quick change of lures as needed.

Last season I tried the #3 dalmation pattern. I target panfish mostly, and soon discovered that the lure attracted fish but few of them took the bait. Was my presentation the problem or do I need to invest in the more popular designs mentioned earlier in this thread? Is this even a good panfish(crappie) choice? I have had great success with plastics without live bait and I present the chubby darter with the same action.

I think it depends on the mood of the fish. If your fishing it agressively and the fish are in a neutral or negative mood, it will make them curious and bring them to your area, but they won't hit it. It's a great way to bring fish in from far away, and use your second pole to do the finishing work, ie. live bait/plastics, etc. If the fish are in an agressive mood, just keep it moving.

Electronics are key for reading the mood of a fish, not much argument there. If your not using electronics.. assume they are aggressive, and jig to get strikes...not sniff's.

I automatically assume they are aggressive, tell they prove me wrong. I can't help it..it's the way I'm wired I guess.

What I mean by that is I jig aggressively..POP..POP.......POP...POP.....ect.

What I have found is bigger fish..don't [PoorWordUsage] around..they mean business. If you get there attention and look vulnerable...Game on.

If they come in hot I move up a foot and POP again. Generally a truly aggressive fish will hit-or-get about then.

If they hit the brakes and stare..I freeze the Chubby right there...... and start a staring match to see who will draw first. If they back off I go up another 6" to a foot and POP it hard.....and settle it again. If that fish is game, it will go now or not at all.

What I have found is the wrist wobble mostly works with "Meat Puppets"...a minnow head hanging there to entice a looker to pick. It may work, but if they act like that I often switch to a Buckshot and fathead pinched off and work the MeatPuppet tell they bite.

The 1-2 switch-up was mentioned...it works. Some days they come in hot and go for the deadstick...every...darn..time.

If they are decoying in..Kewl...we can play that game too...go with the #6 Hot Perch Chubby..call them in for dinner....and than stop so they find the deadstick offering. This can be a killer on sumo perch, as perch are naturally curious stupid greedy critters.

If they see feeding action they come in to see what they can steel from there buddy's..a larger darting Chubby can look like a feeding school and sucker them in....it works great at times.

There are a lot of tricks to Chubby Jigging, droppers, shoot drop & drag, beat the mud and run, and my favorite Chubby method...the High Hard One. smile

It's all about mood, and as Jason Mitchell would say,..."Let the fish tell ya what they want".