• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have been hunting in the metro area. I got a golden eye and four buffle heads on Tuesday. Today I got a ring bill and another buffle head. I did not see many birds besides the ones I shot at. I saw almost no mallards or other puddle ducks either day. If I were you, I would only bring the diver decoys.

Lake Bemidji still had decent numbers of Bills, Goldeneyes and Mergansers on it this morning,,,there are some mallards around too. The smaller lakes are locking up fast, today may be the last day of open water on many of the small to medium size lakes.

Lake Bemidji has some ice on the South end,,,,,if the wind were to die down it would freeze.

the girlfriends brother already put a couple holes in the boat. He's telling me there from breaking ice. Its an aluminum boat so yeah maybe could happen. He got'er fixed for me so i'm a happy camper again! Thats why i'm kinda leary about breakin ice.

i have not found a way to cook 'em to tame down their strong fishy, livery taste. i've done chili before and it was passable. tried jerky, just about knocked me off my feet!

i am thinking about trying the brick recipe - take one oven brick, cover with olive oil, stuff inside merg, cook at 350 for 2 1/2 hours, let rest, scrape bird off the brick, throw merg away, then eat the brick. grin

i have not found a way to cook 'em to tame down their strong fishy, livery taste. i've done chili before and it was passable. tried jerky, just about knocked me off my feet!

i am thinking about trying the brick recipe - take one oven brick, cover with olive oil, stuff inside merg, cook at 350 for 2 1/2 hours, let rest, scrape bird off the brick, throw merg away, then eat the brick. grin

I'm with you! Same for Coot. We cook em on a 2*4, throw the brid away and eat the wood. Haven't tried the Brick yet, I'll put it on my list. But, Dam does it taste good!