• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What line for Ice fishing??

Ears

I have yet to have an issue with my Cajun Red. Weird. I bought a Jig A Whopper combo, St Croix combo, and a Gander Mntn combo and had all the stores put the line on, have yet to have any issues with it. I have Berkeley line on my Shakespeare Ugly Stik, looks like black thread- that stuff is TOUGH. I doubt I will ever have to worry about a fish busting it.

I can't remember zamboni, but I think I remeber hearing from someone that the Cajun Red Ice fishing line might have been changed to deal with some of the problems that have been mentioned. So, it could be possible that we bought the old style & you got the new style. Not sure though so if anyone knows feel free to chime in.

I use the fireline crystal micro ice, love the stuff, you can really feel the bite. To avoid the line from spinning on the spool, with any fireline, you can put about 10-20 feet of mono on first with the fireline tied to the mono, the mono will stop it from slipping on your spool, just make sure you have enough line on that you dont ever reach your mono when fighting a fish.

You can also put some athletic tape around the spool too. the problem is that the line slips on the gloss metal spool. Thats what I do.

I may be making a mistake by saying this without a patent and could probably make millions someday (lol jk) but why don't they make the spools out of a hard rubber or something so the line doesn't slip? There has to be something out there that will grip the line and is lightweight also instead of making us use tape..

Just a thought

Vanish or micro ice. Put 10-20 feet of mono on the spool to aviod the line spinnig. Try some different knots for jigs. I googled knots got some good ideas, practiced some different knots, tried my favorites, then narrowed it down to the strongest knot with the easiest tie, if that makes sense. I didn't want to be spending all day tying knots when I should be fishing.

I may be making a mistake by saying this without a patent and could probably make millions someday (lol jk) but why don't they make the spools out of a hard rubber or something so the line doesn't slip? There has to be something out there that will grip the line and is lightweight also instead of making us use tape..

Just a thought

LOL'S I have to laugh at this as since graphite spool do a really good job at preventing line slip. They just don't have the smoothest spool lips for line friction.

I have been using the Fireline Crystal ice and i think it works great. I don't tie it to my lure though. I always use a 2-4 ft leader of florocarbon. Also just put like 10 ft of mono behind the fireline to prevent the line from slipping. If you do tie the line directly to your lure just use the knot that is shown on the package. It is simple to tie.