• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shotgun Registration

I am about to purchase a used shotgun from a friend of mine. I know you don't have to register a shotgun or have a permit or license to use one for purposes of hunting in the state of MN, but I'd like to get the gun registered and put in my name. Does anyone know what I'll need from my friend, and what I'll need to do to get this done?

Thanks!

Yes, I know the law and there is no way to "put the gun in your name". If you were to buy it from a licensed gun dealer they would run a check to see if you were legally authorized to purchase a firearm. The dealer would also keep a record of the sale. That's the only place where you and the gun would be connected on paper.

For what purpose would it be to have a shotgun in your name??

A firearm trace by any LEA is a click on a computer, but that will only get information to the original receiver of the firearm from the manufacturer. From there, it's all leg work (or phone calls) to the dealer that sold the gun.

From there, no paper work is needed for a private individual to sell to another. Many firearms have passed through 20-30 hands. As long as each individual kept, for his own records, the new owners info, the trail ends.

With that being said, if you must have some kind of record of ownership, the only route is through the federal process of purchasing a firearm. Here's how it would work...

1)You would have to transfer your firearm to a licensed dealer. This dealer then would "sell" or tranfer this firearm back to you.

2) This transfer back to you will require a NICS (criminal back-ground ) check. You will also need to fill out a 4473. This form is a Federal form in which you supply all the information on yourself.

3) Once the 4473 form and NICS check are completed, the dealer now can transfer the firearm to you. Just a note....the dealer will charge you for this service, maybe $25-$50. You will be using his time.

Now that you have taken possession, the Feds and the dealer will know you are not a crook. Under Federal law, the NICS info is "suppose to be destoyed on the Federal end"....highly unlikely.

As for a record of your ownership, only the dealer making the transaction will have it. He will retain the original 4473 form and also keep a record of it in his acquisition and deposition book (federally mandated record book.