• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camper conversion

skinnylee

Just converted a camper last year.

It's a 10 X 7. I have the following observations about doing this type of project.

Good Points--It's cheap (if you can weld or know someone who can). It's relatively simple. We welded a retangular box under the existing frame. On the sides running parralell to the side walls, we mounted the piviting arms and a mount for the winch. The winch system is similar to the factory built houses.

Bad Points (or at least points to consider). Due to limited wheel well heights, the new wheel system is on the outside of the house (just like the houses you can purchase). However--this house is already over 7 feet wide so the wheel assembly puts the house beyond legal road width. The extra width also makes it hard (or impossible) to cross some bridges (if you fish lakes like Mille Lacs). The position of the camper door requires us to completely unbolt the wheel assembly on the door side.

Most campers have little (or no) insulation in the floor. I would recommend insulating the floor prior to having the frame welded.

Hole placement is restricted to whereever there are no frame rails. I would wait to drill holes until the retractable wheel frame is welded under the house.

In summary--the entire cost to purchase and convert this camper was about $1000.

If you can't weld, your better to find a guy who works out of his house compared to one of the "professional" shops. They want in excess of $1000 just for the welding. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but there's a lot of good welders who don't have the overhead and will do the job for half of the number above.

So--does it work--yes. Our plans are to keep this house, but I'm planning on purchasing another (probably Ice Castle as there is a dealer by me). My biggest issue is not knowing that I will be able to get over a bridge. If you fish lakes that do not require bridges, it may not be an issue.

If you'd like some pics, let me know and I can snap a few digital pics and send them your way.

JRS

built one last year after seeing one on lake wilson.
we basicly ressesed a pice of square tubing into the frame of the camper. the tubing used sliped over the camper axle, we cut the camper axle in half and used buper jacks to lift it up to slide in our out the axle. basicly think of the reciever hitch on your truck same principle . very cheap and easy to do.