• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any tips on catching trout

slabchaser

buddy lives up north near a lake that has lake trout. He wants to catch them. I have really only ice fished hard for two years now. I have pannie and walleye rods, a tip-up, jigs, portable house, and a vexi. What do I need to catch these fish and how do I go about locating them and of course any thing else I should know.

If you got the walleye rod and a vex, just put a minnow on those jigs and start hitting the hard water. I use alot of tubes and jigging spoons also in water between 25' and 65'. Try points, mid lake humps and hard drop offs. I find the key to lakers is to move alot and drill lots of holes and hole hop often.

Get a medium-heavy spinning rod, and some 20 lb fireline, some 3 to 4 inch glow white tube with jigs, 3/4 or 1 oz airplane jigs or a bionic minnow and you will be set. Keep an eye on the flasher as 50% of the fish are what I call sonar fish because they show up on the flasher and I adjust my depth to the strike zone. It's not a bad idea to put a chunk of cisco on the hook.

TS

White tube jigs, jigging spoons tipped with minnow heads, flying lures all work well. Anything white, pink, or silver work the best. Use some sort of braided line with a 2 foot long or longer 20lb mono leader under a swivel. If you have a line to spare don't hesitate to use a tipup either. Fronzn ciscos, live suckers, or even fatheads on a plain hook. I've also caught plenty of lakers on a deadstick with a fathead too. Look for sharp drop offs (the sharper the better) that go from 20 or 30 ft down to 60 feet or more. Lakers like to chase bait fish up against the underwater cliff and smack them when they don't have anywhere to go. Be careful, laker fishing can become very addicting. Nothing fights harder on the ice. Also keep your eyes glued to the flasher. These things don't crawl up to your lure like crappies and walleyes. They come out of nowhere and kill it. You'll have time to react but not much. It may take a lot of time to finally get your fist one, but it's worth the wait. Keep moving, and be persistant.