• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plugged Pitot Tube

eagleman

I purchased a used 200 horsepower Optimax where I was told the speedometer doesn't work because of a plugged pitot tube. I decided to work on it in the fall, because I have the GPS unit for a speedometer. I have been able to clean it out about 2 inches inward on the lower unit and I have tried blowing compressed air from the tube attached to the speedometer backwards through the motor. No luck so far. Anybody have any tips on how to unplug a plugged pitot tube?

First off, thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate everybody taking time to read my email and making suggestions. I cleaned out some wood fibers with a needle yesterday. I am in about 2 inches and feel confident I am hitting something metal when I poke a coat hanger in there. I am pretty sure I am up to the vertical turn that marine_man spoke of. What I need to know is if I blow air from the hose that I disconnected from the speedometer end, will it blow directly out the pitot hole on the lower unit. I am currently working by myself, so I put some masking tape over the pitot opening and blew compressed air backwards from the speedometer end to the pitot tube and the tape did not blow off, making me believe it is still plugged. Perhaps it is plugged upwards of the vertical bend.

If you have GPS speed, what does it matter if your spedo works or not? The water Pressure Spedo's are not all that accurate anyway.

Deitz,

Some of us are just anal retentive enough that they like everything to work correctly, regardless of if it is necessary. I suffer from this affliction, too crazy

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich
If you have GPS speed, what does it matter if your spedo works or not? The water Pressure Spedo's are not all that accurate anyway.

Deitz,

Some of us are just anal retentive enough that they like everything to work correctly, regardless of if it is necessary. I suffer from this affliction, too crazy

Sorry RW- I've had quite a few different boats, and used to try and keep the speedo working. I finally gave up on my first boat.. havnt had one work since.. Except on my new boat.. in which the speedo is connected to the GPS.. LOL