• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum , FL--18

ATM

I know there has been much debate on the subject of which is better and I have read most of it. I just have a few minor questions to help me make my decision.
1. Does the Marcum use the same style battery as vexilar
2. Does the Marcum tranducer have a arm or is it a cord with a float
3. For the Marcum uses how has the customer service been.

Adam

Adam in answer to your questions.

1) The Marcum does use the same style battery.
2) It uses an arm...not a float
3) IMHO there customer service has been great. Had one problem with a charger and they had a new one to me in 2 days.

Just my opinion, but I think they are the best flasher on the market today.

------------------
Paul
ProStaff Director
FishingMinnesota
Iceleaders
My Sponsors

[email protected]

I've found MarCum's customer service to be A+. I test for MarCum and all ready know how great a flasher the MarCum LX3 is. I had a charger go out and without letting on who I was I went through the same process for service like everyone else. The charger was covered under warranty and had the new one sent to me within a week.

I agree with the two posts above. Everyone I have talked with has has positive experiences with MarCum's customer service.

They better do what they can to please their customers. They're going head to head with a company, Vexilar, that has a long history of very good customer service. If they don't keep it up, they will go the way of the other company that tried to break into Vexilar's market a half dozen years ago.

------------------
Ray Esboldt

FM Sponsors

The Marcum LX3 is a great unit. Like many people, I had my doubts but after using it a couple of times, I was hooked. IMHO, the clarity, line seperation and adjustable zoom is in a class of its own.

Their customer service is also awesome. I just bought a used non-Marcum underwater camera (can't afford the OVS's yet)and was unable to find a certain piece for it. I remembered that Marcum carried what I was looking for so I sent them an e-mail and asked them about it. They quickly responded and sent me this part without any questions. I don't remember the last time I received such quick and attentive service, especially when it was about a competitor's product, talk about going above and beyond. Keep up the great job Marcum!

The only concern I would have is that all of the replies have had to contact Marcum's customer service dept. I've fished with Vexilars for over 10 years but I couldn't tell you anything about their customer service because I've never had to use it.

I'm curious as to why people have had to call customer service? Might be just small things or questions about the units but I wouldn't want to spend the money on a product that is going to break down frequently.

I've never used any Marcum products but I'm sure they are top quality so I don't mean to sound like I'm bad mouthing them. Just interested to find out what the reasons are for contacting customer service.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

PikeTipper,
you must not have read the posts. The answers to your question are in posts above. Only 3 had a Customer Service request.

Here is the answer to your question based on the posts above:
2 said they were charger issues and 1 said it was someone elses product that MarCum helped them out with.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-05-2004).]

I had the same problem with the FL-18 two years in a row, both times Marcum customer service was excellent. The range knob kept falling off. The first time they sent me a new knob. The second time I got a new FL-18 with all the upgrades at no additional cost. They must have had other units with the same problem because this lastone had a different style of buttons. Haven't had a problem since. Tells me they stand behind their product.

Remember, dealing with customer service doesn't always mean you have to have a problem with the product. I also like to ask questions about a product and get feedback. When I get a new product, especially a piece of equipment as important as a flasher, I want to know as much as I can about it, and understand all the features of that product. In this case, MarCum has responded in great detail and fulfilled every request. Customer service isn't just there to fix something, they advise and inform as well.

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

I currently use the LX-3 and I must say I love the unit. On the other hand, I used an FL-8 for about 20 yrs prior and I must say, I'm not convinced that the extra $100.00 for the zoom is worth it. Marcum and Vexilar make units without the zoom for $100.00 cheaper. I think your best bet would be to buy the new LX-1 (?) or the new FL-8 and treat yourself to a nice new ice fishing pole.

P.S.
I know I'm going to get a lot of grief for this, but I'm just not sold on the zoom feature for the type of fishing I do. (Crappies, Bluegill's and Walleye)

[This message has been edited by Kidd (edited 10-05-2004).]

I have owned both the LX 3 and Vexilar and I guess I think the service is the same but then maybe that is because I have never had to use either. Both are good and just remember when Vexilar change the the FL 18 they had plenty of issues at that time same as the LX 3. Any new product has bugs that need to be worked out. The real test is when that happends how the service is then and from what I have heard, since I have not had the first hand experience both are good.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

Rick,

I was generalizing about other threads I have read about people using Marcum's customer service but point taken.

Good point iffwalleyes,

Any new product is going to go through a phase where the bugs need to get worked out. When I think about customer service I think of sitting on hold for a couple of hours because my phone bill was wrong. It's good to hear that you can actually talk to a knowledgeable person when calling Marcum's customer service.

guys, thanks for the replys. I still dont know which I am going to buy. Both seem like quality units and I cant go wrong. My guess is it will be a spontaneous decision when I walk it the store.

Any other thoughts on the zoom, KIDD stated that he is not convinced the zoom feature is worth it. I may go with the lx-1 and have an extra 100 to put towards a new auger.Adam

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 10-07-2004).]

I have used a Vexiliar for the last several years I have ice fished. I have nothing but good things to say about them. However last year I fished side X side with others using Marcum. If think there is a big difference in clarity and target seperation. I also like the carring case.

Marcum LX-3 and OVS 560 are on my wish list for this fall.

------------------
Brian Rogers
FM Sponsors

[email protected]

I like the zoom feature, I can't say for sure that it has helped me catch more fish, but it is fun to be able to zoom right in and see how the fish are reacting to your jig. the adjustable zoom is also nice if you are fishing suspended fish. the only minor complaint that i have is that the case interferes with my view of the unit when i am standing up, which i tend to do alot of. but other than that it is a top notch unit.

Hmmm not much more to be said on marcum vs vex, I've had both, I kept the marcum, but not to say I was unhappy the slightest bit with the vex.

I've heard you can get a float and attach it to a cord and float you transducer like the vex, Honestly I thought it was a big deal at first, but after living with the marcum it's not. That being said I'll probably still end up buying a float sometime, because it is nice IMHO.

As far as the zoom goes, yeah it's worth every penny, trust me, I fish with my LX3 year round, and nothing is better when you hit 21 feet of water than using the zoom to get the target seperation back in either 5 foot or 10 foot increments (open water I use 10 the most) , yeah you can do it without, I won't argue that, but why sacrifice? if I'm fishing fish tight to the bottom or slightly inactive, I want every advantage I can get, and zoom is huge IMO. just wait til you hit fish suspended in 40 feet or water, you'll love the zoom, adjustable zoom is half the reason I have the marcum over the vex.

Oh and either way you go, get the marcum's charger, that's the only way to go, they do use the same batteries, so it fits, in fact I have one on my aquaview, so I can just leave it plugged in and ready to go, and not have to ever worry about over charging and cooking my battery. My prediction, vex won't let this one get by for long... BTW you should be able to walk into most places that carry the marcum line ( like gander mountain) and pick up the charger.

Nothing has put more fish in the boat or on the ice for me time after time like my flasher. It baffels me people reserve them for winter so much...

I own a FL-18 and have used YaHeyDer's LX3. The biggest difference to me was that we were fishing for crappie at the time on Bald Eagle and the zoom feature on the LX3 allows you to zoom up and down at different depths. The FL-18 only zooms in on the bottom 6ft. Not a big deal unless the crappies are stacked in 15-20ft at a 30ft depth. Well, the crappie were so thick that there was no separation on my FL-18, just on big thick red bar(couldn't even see my bait). On the LX3, I was able to zoom in at 20ft and not only see my bait, but the crappie that was currently tugging at it!
I like both units, but there are situations where the LX3 will outperform the FL-18.
Just my .02 cents.
GF

Swung by Cabela's in Owatonna tonight to use my Grand Opening card that came in the mail the other day. The LX-3 at Cabela's was retailing for $399.

Oh yeah, they have ice fishing stuff on the floor now!! grin.gif