• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you look for in a spear and decoys?

MinnesotaMuskie

Amen to that...Freedom of Opinion is a great thing. I also appreciate the lack of attacks on the sport of spearing...we are all in this together smile.gif

My first spear, back when I was a kid, had a wooden handle. It may have actually been a frog gig? It was so clumsy...I remember I wrapped decoy straps around the spear to add weight..."It was the worst of times, and it was the best of times."

I know it speared a few Northerns in the channel on Red Rock. I am looking forward to handleing my new spears.

------------------
Practice CPR...Catch, Photo, Realease. Unless you pickle a small northern of course.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlife- check out www.nfda.tv that's the national fish decoy association HSOforum and there are a couple articles on there about carving. I've done some carving but not a lot. It's fun if you have the time and patience. There's a lot more to it though then just carving out a chunck of wood and slapping some paint on it. You have to be careful because the paint and wood will crack in the cold water if you don't have enough sealer on them. Nothing better then spearing a northern over a decoy you made with your own hands. Those of you that have speared Winnie before is it pretty clear and are there any special regs on northerns? I'd like to make a trip somewhere this year and was just trying to come up with some spots. I've though about lake of the woods but that's a long trip for a weekend and I don't like the slot they have either. I'd be too nervous to spear anything close to 30 or 40". Thanks for keeping this going guys.

MinnesotaMuskie, I am in the Wolves school district, no kids to follow in sports. I will say I was spoiled growing up in the Cold Spring area and spearing in a very clear lake north of town. Most years it wasn't a problem seeing a small sunfish jig in 15-18 feet of water, so when people talk about seeing down only a couple feet it sounds like they are missing a lot of action. And yes after the first ice run I usually moved the house to that depth of water on the weed edge, they really seem to like the deep water. Good luck, can't wait til first ice.

------------------

Hey Owen. I haven't heard a lot about the Whitefish Chain but I do know that there is a mini spearing get together with carvers and they go out and have a contest with their decoys. It sounds interesting. If I went to Winnie I'd take my portable. It's 6x8 with two 30x24" holes. It's a fold up and it's works great other then that it's a hog to lift.
Do you guys spear early in the day or don't you think it matters much? I usually get out to my house around 11 or noon and sit til dark. Do they move more in the early morning more so then in the afternoon?

spearingboy,

I have never had a problem with water clarity on Winni. However, like with most lakes, some days are clearer than others. There are no special regulations on Winni for northerns.

If you are thinking of going you might want to book soon as most resorts tend to fill up for the opener and the first couple of weekends.

I'll be on the Third River Flowage for the opener. I hear the Whitefish Chain north of Brainerd is popular. Anyone else want to share their favorite spot?

Owen

As far as time of day, I prefer the morning shift for spearing. I try to get to the lake at sunrise and I can usually see the bottom by the time I clean out the hole and get set up. By no means am I saying you won't see fish in the afternoon. Sometimes they move all day. Other times they don't seem to move at all.

That contest on the Whitefish Chain is January 7-9, 2005. The contest is designed for spearing decoy carvers to compete with hand carved decoys. I don't carve, but it sounds like a good time.

Owen

For me mornings have been best. It seems like that period between 9-11 is great. It does depend on the weather somewhat. Not sure why it is but they seem to be most active during this time.. Anyone know of someone that builds portable spear houses near St. Cloud?? You dont see them too much now that all the new stlye portables are out. Just looking for a 4x8 wood floor and both ends and canvas top...???
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-16-2004).]

I have not read all of posts. Spearing is something of a ritual to me. I enjoy watching whats going on down there wheater or not I see any pike. All my stuff is home built - house, decoys, spear, stove. I still have and use all the stuff I made ten years ago but have made a few minor changes to the stuff I sell to friends and aquintances (sp). Decoys I like a red and white or live (depends on how quick you are and the size of body water your spearing). My opinion is too many people think they can just spear it and pull it out of the water and yes you can IF your spear is built properly. Most spears require you to play them as would w/hook and line. The difference between playing them w/spear is you don't pull, youlet them swim on the bottom while your spear is pointing into the bottom thus getting them a little tuckered out. Don't fight them let them tucker them selves out.

------------------
Goosin now but Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

psegriz - Hey Griz,

I see you are from Paynesville What lakes are popular in you area for spearing? I live a bit south of you and was thinking of giving the Paynesville area a try this winter. Thanks for your help.

Owen

Hey guys. Keep this one going! Just wondering if anyone has ever had a northern mounted that they speared? Can the taxidermists cover up the holes good? I know I asked a taxidermist and he said they can cover them up just fine. Just wondering if anyone has had one done and what they thought about it. I think it would be neat to get in the a glass coffee table with some vegitation and have a spearing decoy suspended down there. One of those things that someday would be nice to have.

That's a great idea for a mount. One that I have seen and like is actually in Westwinds on Red Lake. It is just the head of the northern coming out of the wall kind of like a deer mount. That way it saves wall space but you still get the idea.

Minnesota Muskie,

To find info on the ice saw go to the home page and click on "gear so advanced its easy". Maybe someone with more computer skills than I have could create a link? The saw is made be Fish's Sporting Toys and is available on-line or at most bait shops and some of the larger sporting stores. My advice - buy one - they are slick and they work as well as most people claim.

When I first got my saw I noticed my right hand (I am right handed) would get tired quickly from holding onto the handle. This was mostly due to an injury I sustained years ago. To get a better grip I attached a scoop shovel handle to the end of the saw. Problem solved and I think the scoop handle gives better leverage and control when cutting.

And again, I now have a rope tied to my saw just in case it should happen to find its way down the hole. Trust me, stuff happens.

Owen

Spearing Boy, I have a 16# northern being mounted now and should have it back any day now. He said he'd cover the holes and marks nicely, but I asked to leave some marks. I speared it and that's how it should be remembered!! I spear mostly in the Osakis area and have had many good clear water days but also many cloudy water days. Mike

On the ice saw!! Couple more questions. If I am careful and only saw thru "clean" ice and snow, how aften do the blades need to be sharpened?? So, from what I understand, this saw acts as a chisel also? This is all I need to bring to the lake? confused.gif No auger or chisel? Thanks for the info.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

If you only saw on clean ice it should be a very long time before you need to sharpen it.

It does function as an ice saw and ice chisel. It takes about three stabs to go through 5 inches of new ice.

Ice Saw - More Info - CLICK HERE.