• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas for auger

walleyeslammer

I stay away from the ethanol, but use the premium, with Amsoil. The Amsoil seems to make the auger run smoother, more response, and less gas/oil that comes out of the muffler. I'm sure you will get more votes for Amsoil here!!

i use sea foam in ALL of my auger gass and small engen gas trust me it really really helps and then i use inleaded with strik master oil ....all you need to do is buy a $10 can of sea foam put 2 table spoons in one gallon of gas and then put the rest in your truck it is worth it

Non-oxy premium, Amsoil Saber at 80:1, and an oz. of seafoam per gallon for me. Really noticed the reduction in smoke/fumes and overall smooth operation after switching to the Amsoil a couple years ago.

I actually run this mix in my chainsaw/brushcutter/weedwacker, basically anything that requires a pre-mix. For my non pre-mix small engines (sleds/lawnmower/snowblower), i run the non-oxy and seafoam mix. The only thing that I run regular 87 octane in is the boat and truck, and I run seafoam thru them occasionally also throughout the year. At least once a year I run a mixture of 2oz seafoam/gallon thru also, as a "decarboning" agent.

I use regular unleaded. Using premium in an engine that isnt hi compression and made to run premium isnt doing any good, it can cause hard starting and can foul out the spark plug. The 10% ethanol that is added to our fuel wont effect the engine, although it does effect shelf life.

Why not just mix up small amounts of fuel and use it up in a shorter time. That way you can just use pump regular and tolerate the ethanol in the mix. I mix 1/2 gallon gasoline to 1 oz of oil for a 64:1 ratio because it is convenient to measure. The idea of using a high quality oil is a good one whether amsoil or other brands. I've used a Grandberg oil designed for 100:1 mix ratio in my chain saws for years and the saws are in fine shape and run better than with the richer mix required with regular oil.

Remember boys...refinerys refine gasoline, not premium gasoline. Who knows what they put in it to make it "premium". I think if you want to ad something else to your regular gas, i'm sure Amsoil has something that you could trust. J.M.2.C.

Some people claim that if you run ethanol in small engines that it burns to hot and causes damage to the motor. Some people also claim that ethonal will eat some of the floats that are in the small engine motors. Personally, I think that they are both myths. Whenever I fill with gas I use 10% ethanol blend and haven't had any problems. Heck, this is the 3rd year with my jiffy model 30 & I have never winterized or done anything besides the 10% ethanol blend & the oil mix that it is suppose to have. Got it out this weekend and it started on the 2nd pull.

I would just make sure that you mix the correct amount of oil for the fuel you use and you should be fine.

Most gas in many states is now 10% ethenol, so we really have very little choice. Most 2-stroke engines would be better with no alcohol, but ...

Most 2-stroke engine manufacturers recommend using regular (87 octane) gasoline.

I personally use regular 87 with 10% in all my 2-cycle engines with the AMSOIL Saber Professional at 80-1 or a little leaner toward 100-1.

I have heard that ethanol will over time corrode (brake down) the rubber hoses in the system of any small engine. I guess this is due to the alcohol in the fuel??? This is just what I've heard. I use plane old out of the pump 87, however I know it is blended with ethanol so go figure. I haven't had any trouble yet with my auger but who knows. Seems this is the most avalibale so thats what I use.

In my SM auger I use regular unleaded with synthetic oil not amsoil but something else (cant remember) with a little sea foam also. I started running synthetic oil through my 15 hp outboard and it has never ran smoother. I use synthetic for all my two cycles now.

Sea Foam you can get pretty much anywhere automotive chemicals etc. are sold. Amsoil can be ordered directly through one of the sponsors on the site - theoilman. He posted a few posts up and there are links on his signature.

Hey- This may be kind of a dumb question too, but i was just wondering if the jiffy brand oil is any good or is it more of a gimmik? My new stealth stx came with a bottle, and i notice the gas stations in town here all sell Jiffy oil in small bottles meant to mix with a gallon. seems pretty convenient if anything.