• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cormorants Question

IkeThePike

A few questions:

I see a fair share of Cormorants while fishing Winni, however I had the weirdest thing happen. While out about two months ago a Cormorant continued to circle the boat. At first I thought he was just looking for some fish scraps. He even followed me about 3/4 mile inwards. Then out of no where he swooped in from behind and landed at the hull of the boat. I struggled to retrieve the camera and was unable to catch a picture.

Anyways is this common? Or was this bird sick?

And how are these birds regarded? They kind of seem like a larger version of a coot - ugly.

I know that Newcastle disease was fairly common this year, but I believe that occurs in the summer time. I do know that some of the sharp shooters on Leech were having a heck of a time getting within 100 yards of these birds, let alone have them land along side of the boat.

I wouldn't say it's common, but birds and animals do things that seem unusual to us now and then.

Cormorants are regarded by many anglers as pest birds (they eat fish, after all), and there have been ongoing efforts to shoot down their populations on some of the big lakes in the state.