• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

do I need a fish finder?

mrpike1973

Do you use a GPS? Do you fish the same lake that you are familiar with? How many tip ups do you fish?

I use my flasher when tip up fishing to set my bait, it saves me a ton of time.

I can also see how active my bait is without having a camera set up.

Hope this helps.

Ed

hi i only fish pike only panfish when the season is over im only able to fish a couple of lakes i just dont know if its worth buying a finder my last car cost 400 bucks so money is a little tight but if i cant live without a finder i could start saving thanks

No need if money is tight. When fishing tip-ups a simple lead depth finder should work just fine. Like others have said, if you're only fishing a couple different lakes, just find contour maps and go from there. A flasher is not necessary for this type of fishing unless you have money to spare.

thanks for all the replies i'm not trying to sound down on my luck but its hard when your on a tough budget just dont want to go broke fishing thats why i like tip up fishing a couple tip ups small ice house and a auger your good to go i think some people miss the beauty of fishing it can be simple or it can be as spendy as you wish. i feel when i talk with some people like if you dont have the most up to date stuff your not a true fisherman. if you can afford it and enjoy it i think its wonderfull more power to you. there is nothing on this earth i love more than watching a flag pop up. i feel after your comments that if i can afford one some time great if not i'll enjoy what i have and be thankfull thanks guys and gals

I have never used mine for tip up's. My buddy uses his for tip ups and I can set one faster with out and we get about the same number of flags. When using big minnows they will swim out of the cone (in shallow water) and swim up so it is sometimes hard to set depth until minnow clams down. Just my two cents.

If you primarily fish pike, than it is during daylight hours most likely.

A $99 underwater camera would be a option I would consider. As you can see key structure and learn pike habits...and have fun.

Jigging for pike and watching them on camera is a HOOT!!!!

If a economic flasher is an option the LX-1 is a good unit for the money.

Watch for deals on both units near Turkey day. wink

Its really not needed if your just tip-up fishing, BUT if you had one I bet you would find yourself using it quite often and doing more panfishing with it than you expected. Panfishing is much more fun and productive with a flasher, I do a lot if tip-up fishing but I always am fishing for panfish at the same time for something to do while I am waiting for a flag. If budget is tight and you think you might want a flasher, you could go with a used one and get one around $100.