• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

House leaked!!!!!

Ears

So I go out to my fish house to check on it before I make some improvements. I look up and I see that 2 of the 3 lights on the celing are filled with water. Thats my first sign of bad news! As I look around, there is water dripping from the seams in the paneling in the celing with brown goo coming out of the staple heads. I called the company and I took it up there for repair since its only a year old. The guy said that they will take off the roof, and see where its leaking and the more than likely reuse the paneling that is all soaked! After some words, I think we have reached a understanding that 4 sheets of paneling are going to be replaced. Has anybody else had problems with their house leaking from the roof??? I won't mention the brand, but if yout think of a big black bird..that may give you some clues!

Ears,
I can't give you any info about leaking roofs. I just wanted to say sorry to hear about your roof. I hope that you will be happy with the repair. I'm glad to hear that the company you bought it from is going to stand behind what they sell. I hope you get some info from this post. Your clue didn't help me out but I'm sure someone knows who your talking about.
Good luck, Tom (BD110)

[This message has been edited by BD110 (edited 10-04-2004).]

I bought a 6.5 x 16 from them last year and it also leaked this summer. Was very surprised. Mine did not leak as bad as that, but it did leak. I siliconed the roof where I thought it was leaking and it seemed to take care of the problem..How big is yours?..How does it pull down the road? mine sways. I have tried putting more weight in front to get more tongue weight but it still sways. I really love the house, but for what I paid and the reputation they have I guess I expected a little more.

[This message has been edited by trophyhunter (edited 10-04-2004).]

Ears,
Saw your fish house at the home of the "big black bird". Your ceiling looked tough! I've heard other brands having the same problem, I am hearing that it's in the "one" piece roof. Sounds like the manufacture of the roofing material is having problems.If you notice, the roof is not really "one" piece, but several sheets crimped together, that's where the problem lies. That's what I've heard I guess. Anyone have any "good" solutions to this problem?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

hanson's post is very good advice and one all fish house owners should take a look at.

Yeah, I am glad that they are going to fix it, but I hope this doesn't happen again. Yeah, they said the roof is crimped together, and I thought it was actually one piece. I have a 6.5X 14 and it tows just fine at 75. They told me that if it did sway, to put more weight on the tounge, but I have not had that problem. I like the house, but I don't want to go through this every summer. If you own a house with a "one piece roof" I would check the seams and make sure they are coverd in caulk!

Until running around with my Dad for two years looking at house construction I thought a fish house was a fish house!!

Custom houses have become extremely popular and some makers are out to make a good house with staisfied customers and others who may not look at it in that manner.
Research , do your home work and make visits prior and during your houses construction when all possible.

Our family has five different houses from home made, one carpenter built to three custom built. One custom being the "black bird" manufacturer.
There are so many things under the skin that can cause leak issues as well as many on the outside that "I" for one never considered or thought to look at. I would look at how nice a house "looked" LOL and my old man went right to the craftsmanship and fine details.

When your spending $5,000 - $12,000 on a fish house you always demand to see the contruction process, and try to have "yours" built custom so you can monitor its progress. Get a written warranty so things like roof leaks are covered.

If you choose to buy from a mass producer of same floor plans just different colors, you have various houses right there to compare craftsmanship habits from house to house. You will find certain makers to be very inconsistant from house to house and the seams, caulking, can look alarming. which should be a "red flag" from the start.
Should heavy caulking be noticed that tells me there was a heck of a seam to plug which translates to bad craftsmanship.
Make darn sure you check all seams, the roof, windows,siding flaws and all interior craftsmanship for tight professional installation so you dont get a super glued house. Especially a "wood frame" house where wood rot will eat the entire house away on you in short time and you lose your investment frown.gif

These houses must be built good with all the stress they endure and like "Hanson" said you have annual upkeep after the buy as well no matter the manufacturer. Some just give you more assurance than others believe me !!

If you have a house that has the seams, the best way to make sure it doesn't leak is apply silicone in the ribs where it's sealed together. I actually did this on the sides of the house that I have near the bottom due to the slush/salt/sand that was getting on it. But I am going to check the top of the house now and take the precautions since our house is over 7yrs old.

Thanks for the heads up.

Seems to me like this is a problem that could happen alot.

Just think of all the bumps, cracks, potholes, snowdrifts, rough landings that you pull your house over or across. Thats a lot of rocking and shifting of the fish house.

Sooner or later, something will work itself loose. Unfortunate that it happened to your 1 yr. old house but at least they are taking care of it.

Might not hurt to check up on your houses in the summer months to see if something like a leaky roof is happening. I'm sure many people pull the house off at the end of winter and park it without thinking about it until next winter.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I do know that Road King Fish Houses use a one piece aluminum seamed roof. The flat seam is not the issue on the piece that goes over.

The issue is the corner seams. Using caulk rather than marine grade silicone is not good. You want marine grade silicone to seal ALL corner seams, window seams, outlet, vent and heater seams.

Another thing to stay away from is fiberglass insulation with house wrap (moisture issues) and/or vinyl siding (cracking issues). They are a cheap set of materials you will pay for down the road. It's not that much more to have materials that will last a long time and provide good value at resale time.

Another thing to be sure you have is #3500 lb GVW rating (not #2200 LB). Most fish house shells weigh #1800 pounds. Add in heaters, water, gear, radios, blankets, dishes, augers, etc and you will quickly be at or over the #2200 rating. Don't do it, save yourself the aggravation.

The craftmanship wll tell you a lot. Pay close attention to that and the materials that were used. You can go cheap and lose out due to premature problems and especailly at resale time.

See quality Road King Fish Houses & drop down trailers - CLICK HERE

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-05-2004).]

If your going to buy a house, don't neglect to get on your back and look under the house as well. I seen some pretty crappy weld jobs out there and seen some that I knew wouldn't pull worth a darn down the road beacuase the wheel sets and frames were no where close to square. If you have a wheels where one is 1" further ahead or behind the other, and both have different cambers, your going to have trouble regardless of tongue weight.

This one of the reasons why I built my own instead of buy. the other is I had some free materials come my way smile.gif

Not sure if any dealers do this, but I think I would request a test drive before any final sale was made, wether it be custom, or a pre fabbed house to make sure that it trails good.

Great advise Kornfish.. hand select your trailer if you can and if pre-manufactured make sure the house is lifted and check it's under carriage.

My old man has this "bizzare" creeper he had made with two wheeler tires on it...
No matter the surface he's underneath rolling & looking, measuring...

The test drive is a must and should be required not only for trailering, but you get a great perception of its lift and drop qualities as well... Don't fall for the oh its easy and safe line without actually hooking up and dropping yourself !!

I saw two roadkings last year. No I don't own one and no, I don't work for them. However a friend who was with is a fabricator who knows his stuff and here's what we observed. One piece roof. Seams were tight. No flex to the shack. Door fit was actually square and believe me, I've seen some doozies. He said a bunch of stuff re: the welds on the frame but, not knowing squat about welding I took his good words as solid. Anywho, pulling around what amounts to a small camper in winter conditions I think when I buy, much closer attention will be payed to construction and durability. My 02.

------------------
chunky