• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Go Jigging Spoons

Northlander

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic! I haven't been ice fishing all that long - but I started out with a jigging spoon and haven't looked back since! The possibilities are endless.

My favorites include:
-Scenic Tackle Go Devils (1/4 oz perch, 1/8 oz glow red, and 1/16 oz gold and gold red are my favorites)
-Phelps spoons in glow/blue
-Scenic Tackle Angel Eye Jr's in gold or solid glow(HOT!)
-JB rattlin varmits (1/8 oz) in glow red or minnow pattern
-Scenic Tackle Angel Eye Sr. in gold/red

------------------
Clueless - -

[This message has been edited by cluelessfisherman (edited 10-10-2004).]

Nice article on the Home Page Jeff!!

If you haven't read the article yet I highly reccommend it, it touches on a few key points for jigging spoons. And it gets the blood flowing for ice fishing smile.gif

And I agree, jigging spoons are tough to beat for a lot of conditions and for several speices when out on the ice.

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

My favorite is the blue fox flash spoon. Pretty much all the big fish I caught last year was with this spoon. It has the hammered metal and the flutter just seems to trigger the fish to bight. On a trip to LOW last year I lost my favorite one and didnt have another. I vowed to not let that happend again so now I have 10 of them in assorted colors and sizes. Adam

The Blue Fox spoon is nearly exactly the same size and shape as the 1/4 oz. Phelps Glow Spoon. The Phelps Spoon is less expensive and more effective. The phosphorescent glowing paint we are all becoming so familiar with is a great feature of the glow spoons, and it's indestructible to boot. You can't go wrong in my opinion.

------------------
------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
mjbreuer...at...paulbunyan.net

FM Sponsors

I've seen the new "Fish Call" jigging spoons from JR's and they're going to be a hot item this winter. The sizes will allow you to fish a variety of different species and the rattles really give off some excellent sound and vibration. I'm looking forward to using them this winter.

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

I like spoons! AE's in both sizes are killer. JR's Crusher is a killer. Swedish Pimple 'Vingla'....A killer. Thanks to Widetrack the Sutton 'west river' is a go to spoon for the whoppers in my arsenal now as well.

fiskyknut

Fisky you and Widetrack sold me on those babys and I have doctored up a few. I went to find them a week or so ago and wouldnt ya know it I cant find them in all my garage goodies. Oh well time to order more and get out the paint pens. grin.gif
Where is the best/cheapest place you guys have found them? walleyes4me32 at aol dot com

Northlander, the only place I've seen them is at Strieff's up here in Warroad. They are pricey due to there plating. I only have 3 and will be searching around for some more soon. Those BIG Perch will fly right up and smack those babies too.

This ice season I will perfect the "Widetrack Wiggle"!!!! Heck I even went out and bought the exact same rod model as WT uses just for this reason! He schooled me well one day out on Stoney point last winter.

those sutton jig spoons are some spendy spoons. Do any of the local (metro) stores carry them or do they need to be ordered on line. As many trips as I plan on making to LOW if thats the hot spoon I better not go up there with out them. We dont even have ice yet and my wife is tired of all the ice fishing talk. Adam

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-14-2004).]

Thanks for the kind words on the article. I am glad that it helped answer some questions that a few have had regarding spoon differences. I have a few more article to submit over the next couple months and I hope you enjoy them as well.

As for the rattle spoons when I use them I know I personally will be staying with the U.S. made JB Lures "Rattlin Varmit" as it has the loudest rattle out there. It features an internal rattle molded into the body that contains beads that are incased within to really bring in the fish from far away. Another of the features that I like about this product is it’s ability to be jigged very gently and still give a soft rattling sound. Add that sound to the natural colors and you have a hot go to bait.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff Beckwith (edited 10-14-2004).]

Iff.....That 'west river' model by Sutton only comes in the 1 size. They make quite a few different spoons, some are paper thin. The 'west river' is heavy enough to fall fairly fast, and thin enough to flutter nice.

fiskyknut

Thanks Fisky, after I posted that I did some more research and discovered that. Man they do have several types.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

Has anyone heard of a Willielure or Willie spoon something like that? A friend of mine told me about it and it sounded like a spoon of some sorts. Any information on how to get information would be helpful.

Yukon Don

Spoons rock!! And one of my all time favorites is the Rocker Minnow. Many of Gull Lake and Mille Lacs walleyes caught on these babies. But, I recieved a nice package in the mail the other day from Scenic Tackle and inside were some Go Satans (Devils) and they look pretty Heavenly. Thanks Jeff, I will catch some walleyes on those babies!! And so will my clients. Can't wait!! I can tell there was some time put into making them also.

Thanks Jeff,

Walleyedan