• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Folding bunks

jt24

Just wondering if anyone has any pictures or plans on folding or collaspable bunks. I have a 6.5x12 house on wheels with the door in the back, heater in front and one window on each side. Kinda the wrong design to put bunks in without having something in the way. Just would like something to fold up out of the way but still able to see out the windows. Would like 2 bunks for sure and maybe another one but i think my setup limits that. Thanks for any help. Jamie

jt24,

I my house, 8 x 10, I built a "slide-out" bunk. It's kinda like one you would see in an older camper, it's got two cushions that are 26" x 6', I built the base out of 2" x 4"'s and plywood. When it's folded up it makes a couch, then I made a single bunk that is mounted to the wall on a hinge that folds down to make a back for the couch. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well, if you have any questions, ask.

Ole

One of our older 12 footers is set up as such with side windows..
We made (2) 30" x 6' (4" foam) padded bunks on on 1/2" plywood.
Each hangs from (eye hooks) in the ceiling studs..
We have angled aluminum lengths 8' on each long wall (window)mounted to wall studs.
We take the beds down and set them in the wall track from one side to the other and can position them as two singles or a double depending on our hole arrangement at the time !! we slide a milk crate under the center of each for center support and it works great..
We have a 7' ceiling so it does not affect your head room and the panels are narrow enough not to interfear with our lights while hooked to the ceiling !!

Minneman,
I already do use cots but wanted to try something else. I have had three in there and it works. I have 3 kids and if i want to get any fishing in this winter i am going to have to take them all with, so 3 cots arnt enough. I have thought about hanging a bunk from eye hooks but not sure if they would hold? Probably more for a kid than a adult. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks

Your options are somewhat limited it seems with the heater in the nose of the house and needing arrangements to sleep four people.

"Fold up bunks" will cover your side windows
so any bunk bed idea is not feasable either.

My cousin went to Menards and got (4) pre-assembled frames well made from 2 X 2... they were like 24" X 6'... He put some plywood on them and foam rubber and some material from a fabric store and stapled on to the back of the bed frames.

He attatched 2 X 2 header boards along his walls for lower bunks and upper bunks.
Pretty much the same concept in one of our houses with the aluminum angle tracks.
He keeps the panels hung on the wall with eye hooks and places them on the 2 X 2 headers when he sets up to sleep.. The upper level he has chains as well to help support but actually the 2 X 2 frames on the bunk are plenty for anyone up to 175 ibs. Usually only sets up on floor level with maybe one upper if needed or to throw coats and junk on. lol
It's a 6.5 X 12 and can have any number of configurations with the bedding. Usualy has a double set up on the lower level and a upper above it and still leaves him 8 X 8 to fish in with three sleeping if needed.

Piketipper,

I built them a long time ago so I don't have exact dimensions, but here goes.

I used 2x4's to make a base frame, mine was approx. 30" x 72", I built it with 16" legs and I screwed a piece of 1/2" plywood on top. On the edge of the base I screwed another 2" x 4" so the slide-out would have something to rest on and I put a couple of holes in the slide-out where it rests on the main frame and I put two dowels into the rest so it won't fall off when sleeping. I then built the slide-out with a 3 sided frame and legs, the length needs to be 75" long so the end frames can slide over the main base so it lay's flat, again, it's about 30" wide, I screwed 1/2" plywood on the slide-out. The legs on the slide-out when slid in will be 1/2" off the floor, again, I screwed a 1/2" plywood on the sldie-out. I had a lady friend sew me some slip covers to go over 4" foam that I got at a fabric store. When you're not sleeping on it, one cushion goes up against the wall, the other on the base and it makes a couch. For an upper bunk I built a 2" x 4' frame, again I used 1/2" plywood and I hinged it on the wall with a piano style hinge, when not in use, it folds down against the wall behind the back cushion of the couch.

I hope I haven't totally confused you, if you have any more questions ask away.

Ole

I think I know what Ole is saying, but here's what I'm kinda thinking from his suggestion.

I have a small pick-up camper that has a similiar design and it works extremely well. It's a table/bed combo. The bed extension portion is a table top. You just lay the table top on top of 2x2's and it makes the bed. The mattress is L shaped to fold as a long seat for a backrest, then unfolds flat to make the bed.

I've been brainstorming bed ideas for my permenant shack I'm building and I'm going to try to copy this design.

I like that idea!

I built a 6.5 x 12 a couple years ago. I bought 2 damaged 30" doors at Menards for $5 ea. I shortened them to the right length. I screwed a piece of plywood to one side for strength. I then screwed a 1 x 6 hardwood board (again for strength) to the end wall. I then installed 3 hinges to each door.The bottom bunk folds up against the wall and the top bunk folds down. When you leave the bottom bunk in the bed position the top bunk rest at an angle so its like sitting on a sofa. Note the top bunk needs to have to boards or 1 1/2" from the wall to miss the bottom bunk. It works good.