• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let's see some pike pics

Blaine

Paul,
Contact Rapala. I believe they are selling the new ones with rubber covers to help solve the problem. Maybe they will send you some for yours if you ask. I have only seen reports on them damaging the mouths of fish, but by the looks of them it would get nasty if a pike starts to roll.

Boofish???? Just grab the line and let them shake themselves off. wink.gif

Lost... WHATAFISH!!!! Any stats on it?

Josh, a lanyard is a must for a lip gripping tool. It comes in handy for ice fishing, we lip the pike with it and just let the pike back in the hole until we're ready for the picture. The fish suffers fo snow and ice damage that way. wink.gif The lanyard is most useful when fishing the salt. We catch a lot of striped bass out here and no matter how tightly you grip the tool, when the fish starts thrashing around it can be hard to hold on to. The 60lb Boga Grip I use goes for $275, I **** sure don't want that going over the side. The first thing I do when preparing to boat a fish is to clip the lanyard onto either a cleat on the boat or a belt loop. It has saved me more than once...

Blaine,
60# Boga? When did you get that? Got sick of people asking you to weigh your fish? wink.gif

No need to bring that beast when you come up. The 30# one is more then enough for what I have up here.

FYI...I'm getting parts for my second bait tank. I'll have (2) 100 gallon units complete with de-icers and aerators. I'll post some pics when I get everything done.

AH, YES!!!! wink.gif post the link or picture to what was on the end of the line!!! grin.gif
THAT'S THE PICTURE!!!
Ya, Mon!!! That picture is priceless!!!!!!!!!!
That's NEW ENGLAND fishing at it's finest!!!!

[This message has been edited by P.DONA (edited 10-01-2004).]

It's about as far off topic as you can get but it's one picture I'll never get tired of looking at grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Bob and I with a double of 50" stripers. Both fish were released. We had 27 stripers that day, 25 were over 40". If I could never fish another day, that day would have made it worth it

7-23-04twins_a.jpg

[This message has been edited by Blaine (edited 10-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Blaine (edited 10-01-2004).]

hey thanks for then info guys, that is a great idea. i like the idea of keeping the catch in the drink as much as possible. so your saying keyboard cable?, where would a guy find that?. how much weight would you guess it could hold?. is that electrical shrink tube over the loop?.

An old keyboard cable will work fine. So will phone cord. I bought my phone cord at radio shack.... I ran an end through the hole at the end of the lipper, wrapped some braided line tightly around it and mixed up some epoxy to hold it together. I did the same thing on a "D-ring" on the other end.

If you're lazy or a neat freak and have a dive shop near you, they usually sell some nice retractable lanyards for under $30 that will do the job nicely wink.gif

Hey Redlantern,

Open your photo on shutterfly.
Right click on it, select properties,
At the URL address, highlight and copy it.
Then paste the address here typeing in frontand behind, no spaces.

Another trick to see how it should look in your post, click on the edit symbol for someone elses photo. You'll see how the address should read. Of course it will not allow you to modify their post.

Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by Blaine:

"If I could never fish another day, that day would have made it worth it."

I was thinking the same thing.Good fishing with a good friend. It does not get much better then that. grin.gif

Josh,
I got my cable off a junk computer at work. You might be able to grab one at the local landfill/transfer station if they have a seperate area for electronics. For mine, I removed the rubber cover on the gripper, threaded it through the hole in the rubber, then around the cross post in the handle. I think I braided the wire (strands inside the cable) and put a tie wrap on it. The other end I braided the wire again and used shrink wrap. I guess I could have used it for the other end as well. We towed a 50# striper around with it for a while, so I think it is strong enough. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Bob_D (edited 10-01-2004).]

Don't remember the exact stats on that fish but I think it was 41 3/4 inches short. Never was weighed. It was caught on Lake Of The Woods in Manitoba.

You think that's something? You should have seen the one that wouldn't fit up the 10 inch hole!

Paul,
You would be surprized how many jigs I lose to pike while jigging for perch. rolleyes.gif If I'm lucky, I get one out of 5 to the hole.....The 4# test does not last long.

mpester,
They were caught on the CT side of Long Island Sound. I'm lucky enough to be friends with the best light tackle captain in the area. grin.gif