• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead contamination

I made the mistake of buying the Star Tribune yesterday and my wife stumbled across the story of lead contamination in venison. After taking the brunt of a 20 minute tirade about the safety of the venison I bring home, my wife informed me that she will no longer eat any venison (neither will my 5 month old son when he comes of age) until I stop using lead slugs and convince the other 17 members of my hunting group likewise (we all butcher together and divide shares evenly). Any thoughts on the topic?

I had an interesting expierence with a 12 gauge slug on the doe I shot Saturday. I found a bunch of light trama in the neck when I skun the hide down. I ended up finding a small crescent moon shaped piece of lead just under the hide of the neck? There was no obvious hole in the hide or pathway under it from the shoulder entrance wound. It obviously came from my slug, but with just a nick to the outer edge of the shoulder blade and good clean looking entrance and exit wounds, I would not have believed it would fragmant off that chunk. Oh well, it won't affect my eats any.

Based on what has been published, I am not convinced by the whole lead contamination issue and will continue to enjoy every bite of venison without fear. On the other hand, I have a question for all of you: Do you think commercial processing has the potential to sway the sample? We have always cut up our own deer and de-bone them. I was always taught to clean the shot up areas meticulously and dad is still a stickler about this. Nothing against commercial processing, just a question.

until I stop using lead slugs and convince the other 17 members of my hunting group likewise (

Your wife's name isn't Yoko is it? smile

Going to be tough to persuade her that there won't be any lead in the meat. All you can do is keep fighting the fight and maybe she'll see the light.

I offer my condolences. grin